Never a fun task

-

Big Dad

Reaction score
I take care of OTR drivers , just one of my many tasks, I finally got fed up enough. I had to let one go , they are hard to find and he was just a dam buffoon ..

Sometimes you just have to.

Yep. If you have a liability behind the wheel the risk is astronomical.

In 1988 I was driving for a small company and I got a call about 2 in the morning.

It was the boss. He said get your *** out of bed and get downtown and pick up the Freightliner and the new trailer.

Me: **** THAT. Why can’t it wait until the morning when normal people are up.

Boss: Because Donny was dealing cocaine out of the truck and got busted. I called in every favor I had and they won’t tow it until 4 AM. So shag your *** down there NOW.

It wasn’t so bad expect waking the old lady up at that time to take me down there was like poking a pine cone up a bobcats *** in a phone booth.

Moral of the story: you can’t take a chance on sketchy drivers.

This kid was just a knucklehead, took horrible care of equipment, would never listen to the plan laid out for him .. I had hoped he would pull his head out of his *** but, gave up .. and, of course I am the bad guy

Yes, sometimes you just have to.
The guy that was married to my step-sister (no blood relationship thank goodness) had several issues after he decided he wanted to drive OTR.
The final straw was when he drove his rig under an overpass that wasn't high enough and the trailer got wedged in and stuck. The story I got was he called his boss to report it and his boss told him to hand the keys to the closest person and then somehow find his way back home.

I've never been happy doing OTR, but I've been doing local p&d for years, there's no shortage of brain dead drivers, both in rigs and 4 wheelers. Fortunately for me I have never had anything more than a few minor fender benders. Had my cdl for over 33 years now.

Last edited:
I look at it this way. I have never fired anyone, they fire themselve. I just free up their future so they go try somewhere else.

I used to have a hard time doing it, but I always give folks a couple chances so i came to grips with it. Nobody (well, not too many) likes taking someone's livelihood away.
I've never been in a position of authority, but I can say that there are more than a few I've worked with over the years that I would happily have sent on their way.

I used to have a hard time doing it, but I always give folks a couple chances so i came to grips with it. Nobody (well, not too many) likes taking someone's livelihood away.
The thing to remember is, you are not taking thier livelihood away, they did that to themselves

-
Back