new 360 oil pressure problems

-

Muscley MOPAR

Reaction score
Got all done rebuilding my 360 nd i went to prime the oil pump nd i got no pressure...i saw that i forgot a lifter galley plug thru the dist hole nd put that in thinking that would solve my problem caus i was getting lots of oil thru it so o tried it again nd nothin...do i have a lifter issue?...I've got w2 heads oiling thru the block tp the head wit solid push rods nd a roller cam its a racer brown cam...its a older magnum block wit the oil hole for the head nd the obviously la shaft rockers its not oiling thru the pushrods but its got the head style oiling holes the oils getting to the lifter galley caus it came out of that plug. Am i missing something?

you are not getting any oil to the shafts?

but you have oil pressure otherwise?

you need to slowly rotate the engine by hand while the oil pump is turned...oil to the shaft comes from cam bearing no. 2 and 4..and the oil holes have to line up...and the left head and right head do not oil at the same time..

Ahhh ur right aar...that's Wat i was missing probably, sometime i get in really impatient fits wit my motors nd projects nd kinda don't use my head Im sure that doesn't happen to anyone else ha...ill give that a try nd hopefully that does it otherwise Im taking the intake off

I was just thinking if i had oil comin out of that lifter galley plug shouldn't i still have pressure at the oil gauge fitting next to the distributor? Does anyone have a oil flow chart or diagram?

2qx9q86.jpg

I'm working from memory here. Depending on what happened to your block (hot tanked, etc) make sure all the gallery plugs are installed. There are at least three tricky areas

One screw in plug for one of the lifter galleries is INSIDE the block. You must install it by reaching that plug through a larger plug in the rear face of the engine

Next, there is a small press in cup plug in a vertical oil passage above the main bearing. Often this is not removed, but it sure could be.

Last, there are two plugs on the front face of the engine block, covered up by the cam thrust plate.

did you hot tank the block? If so, most times some plugs in the internal oil passages are removed. There is a non visible plug in the passage just above the oil pump. Did you / the engine builder remove it?

Michael

seems like i was too slow....just like my quarter mile experience up til now...;-))

Michael

'S ok, LOL. I haven't been into a engine very deep for awhile, and am starting to confuse them thar old pichures in ma head, LOL. Good to have a backup "memory."

thanksfor the diagram and help guys, yes i hot tanked the block, nd the machinist removed the plugs nd i replaced the ones in the front under the cover and the one in the back by the pump shaft was the one i forgot and i installed that thru the distributor hole...im not sure about the press in plug though i cant remember but wen the rear plug was out i was gettin oil thru it

You getting oil ANYWHERE, IE do you have any pressure or low? How low is it?

Any resistance to the drill? You are turning it the right direction? Try leaving the filter off, which should result in an almost instantaneous flow out the filter mount.

I forgot mine by the distributor and when I started engine I only had about 15 to 20 lbs after I put it in it went up to 70 when cold, 55 when hot.

As 67Dart273 said before, behind the plug beneath the dizzy drive (driver side) is another smaller plug. It seems that you forgot this one? Check it again...

Michael

no im not getting any oil pressure maby 5, there is resistance to the drill, im turning it the same direction as the distributor which i belive is clockwise, nd yes i get a lot of oil right away from the oil filter adapter when filter is off....nd 360 duster its the plug thst u can see thru the dist. hole nd also install thru the back of the block the block hole is bigger into a smaller plug hole in the lifter galley

if i did forget to put those plugs in the front under the timing cover with that timing chain bracket over top it would still get oil pressure...im wondering if mabey my lifters are covering or something cause i have a older magnum style block with the oiling holes think like the 3 years or so before the magnum trucks came out 91 or 90 somethin like that

Try priming it without the gauge in place for a second or two. Oil should rocket outta there, if not maybe there's something obstructing the passage. Sounds like all the plugs are in place, shouldn't be any reason for poor pressure. Gauge gone TU ?

well guys i checked over absolutely everythin nd i did what i didnt want to, i tore into the motor took the intake off nd valve covers and tried priming it and found my problem...my racer brown roller lifters are goin up in the bore too far and letting way too much oil to go out...so now my options are new cam setup bush the cam galley or try differnt liffters. nd im planning on doin the easiest, try different lifters where the bore goes closer to the roller (like a stock magnum roller lifter, the racer browns where solid rollers)

Give MRL on this board a ring.... He's got some that should drop in and work.

well wat i ended up doing was taking the hyd. lifters from the mag. block taking the springs out and put a spacer between the little piston and cup thus making it a solid lifter. i found 6.55 solid 3/8 pushrods on ebay so i should be set and i didnt even have to spend more than 50 bucks just a lot of dickin around

-
Back