New 408 for the Flyfish

-
LOL!!, Flyfish-ing....unfortunately no...using a bait caster. I did get some good fly fishing in earlier this summer when I took my family out to Colorado to visit my old stomping grounds....good times :)

Hey Flyfish mind letting us know what converters are those in pics? One looks like a dynamic the other looks like an A&A trans converter. Specs please!:)

Hey Flyfish mind letting us know what converters are those in pics? One looks like a dynamic the other looks like an A&A trans converter. Specs please!:)
The small one is a PTC 8" converter, stall's about 5k behind my old 410 stroker. The other is a 10" TCI converter, stall's about 3300 behind my old 360 combo NA, and about 3800 on the juice if I recall correctly.

Glad to see you’re making progress on this one! Hard to believe it’s been 3 years already! Old motor was strong. This one sounds like it will be even better. With that CR, I assume you’re going to stick with E85? I know you said you street drive it.

Yes, this motor will be on e85 as well…and this motor will actually NEED the e85 (13:1 compression), whereas the previous motor didn’t (10.8:1 compression). Will it be street driven…Absolutely….I can’t see building a car that can only be driven at the track…but with that, there are always compromises in power/reliability.

Yes, this motor will be on e85 as well…and this motor will actually NEED the e85 (13:1 compression), whereas the previous motor didn’t (10.8:1 compression). Will it be street driven…Absolutely….I can’t see building a car that can only be driven at the track…but with that, there are always compromises in power/reliability.

I figured you’d need it. Otherwise you’ll be using race fuel to stroll around town $$$$. My motor was 13.9:1 when I bought it and was on my way to converting to E85 when the engine started having problems. Then rebuilt it and lowered the compression for 91 octane. I’m still curious how it would improve with E85 though.

Its ALIVE!!! Not sure how to upload video or I would, but ITS ALIVE!!! :-D

Got the cam break-in done, had an oil leak from a valve cover making a mess and the carb was dripping fuel from the secondary boosters making it run like crap, but hey...All easy fixes.

I'll be opening it up Saturday to install the full valve springs (only had the outer's on for break-in), check the valve train, replace valve cover gaskets, and tear down the carb to fix the dripping booster.

After that, its time to beat on it!!

If you the get thing figured out let me know
We can compare our cornfed 408’s
I tried to get my uploaded but gave up

If you the get thing figured out let me know
We can compare our cornfed 408’s
I tried to get my uploaded but gave up

I gave up on the video too. I know I could put it on youtube, but I really don't want to mess with it. I'll let you know how she fairs at the track soon. The next TNT at my local track (Lucas Oil Raceway) is in a week and a half (19th)...as long as I get this thing running decent, I'll be there to make some passes.

Update: I never did get the car to the track at the end of last year, life got in the way. ~ 1.5 weeks ago I realized the first race of the season was 2 days away while I was working on my sons truck (woops!). I also had the top of the Cuda's engine apart so I could inspect the cam due to a loose rocker that freaked me out. Everything measured up fine, so I believe the cam is OK...but I'm going to keep a close eye on it. Thought I would make the race until I realized I never did replace the front tires that were just starting to show belts (Doh!!)…...No local shops had the tire size I needed, so I missed out on race #1.

Fast forward a week…..I now have new tires, car is back together and running STRONG. Got a few small leaks to deal with (carb and oil filter adapter), but IF all goes well I’m hoping to make it to race #2 at Lucas Oil Raceway on Saturday. I will be first round fodder for sure due to me having no practice, but hey, at least I’ll be at the track :)

Previous motor ran 10.7's on average....this one should be in the low 10's unless I messed something up...my guess is somewhere in the 10.4-10.1 range (6.5's-6.4's in the 1/8).

I forgot to mention...I will also have to drive the car to the track this weekend. My trailer has been sitting for the past 4 years and the wood deck is rotting away, granted it is 15 years old, so I will need to replace the deck before I put my car on it.

Being it’s your first time with new motor maybe you should borrow one or rent a uhaul for the day ???

Wow, 4-5 tenths would be huge !
Yeah, the compression is up from the previous (was 10.8:1 now it is 13:1) and the cam is much larger. The wild card here is I did the head work and valve job myself...so, if I did it right it should run the number...if not, then it won't.

Being it’s your first time with new motor maybe you should borrow one or rent a uhaul for the day ???
Yeah, I was thinking the same...I might ask around...my neighbor owns a hotrod shop, he would probably help me out if I asked.

Well, I didn't make it to the track this weekend. I fixed all the leaks that I knew about (oil filter adapter and carb), and promptly found new ones. My fuel regulator started acting like a sprinkler, spraying fuel every second or two out the top (easily fixed with a $8 rebuild kit, but I have to order one). The one that made it impossible to make it out this weekend was the other half of my oil leak...I was hoping it was not this, but it is...rear main seal needs to be replaced, so the engine has to come out again......isn't building engines FUN! :-/

Edit: The rear main seal leak is not too bad, but it is bad enough that it probably would not pass tech, and I would NOT want to endanger other racers (or myself) with my oil leak.

Pulled the engine last Saturday and replaced the rear main seal and ordered some new pushrods from Smith Bros. I didn't touch the car on Mothers day (for obvious reasons, lol).... dropped the engine back in the car Monday morning and have been slowly hooking everything back up in the evenings after work. I'm not quite done, but I think I will be able to make the race tomorrow if all goes well...or I'll get up EARLY Saturday and finish....either way, as long as its not leaking, I'm racing :-D.

It would really suck if after all that work you make ONE run,
go 9.99 and they send you home !

Last edited:
-
Back