"new" brake drum replacement

-

64valiant_702

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently picked up a brake drum from one of the members on the forum.
The one installed had a spun bearing.

After a couple weeks, I finally had the opportunity to replace it.

Of all places to get the drum resurfaced, orilley auto did it free of charge for me!

She rides like she's floating on air!

IMG_20200629_170640.jpg

IMG_20200629_220755.jpg

IMG_20200629_222117.jpg

IMG_20200629_222725.jpg

Who ever designed drum brakes with the self adjusters should be shot. The springs and arms, the star wheel and all the other pieces are a night mare. I made the mistake of taking the emergency brake arm off the cable and that was some headache to get it back together. Thank goodness for disc brakes.

Who ever designed drum brakes with the self adjusters should be shot. The springs and arms, the star wheel and all the other pieces are a night mare. I made the mistake of taking the emergency brake arm off the cable and that was some headache to get it back together. Thank goodness for disc brakes.

Yeah what a pain it was, i thought I could get away with just adjusting the driverside to where the pads just made contact with the drums.

The fist stop, the car jerked to the right so went back in the garage and took off the passenger side. Turns out the adjuster had pushed the pads too far out that there was pad contact the whole time. (What a drag) lol

Now that everything is adjusted, she drives and handles much better. I may even get a couple more miles on gas now

-
Back