New Car: My 1964 Plymouth Valiant

-

T0dd

Reaction score
Hi All, I have posted under the engine forum but thought I would make a post about the car I recently picked up. I am the 3rd owner. It has 88k original miles and is all original from what I can tell. This car was originally purchased by a woman with no right arm. The push button on the left side was the best option for a left arm only driver. I had a '64 Valiant in my life when I was much younger and learned to wrench a bit on it with a friend. That was almost 20 years ago so I am getting back into it. I have a Service Manual on the way as well as a few recommended books and parts. My chief concern to lead off is safety and maintaining it as a reliable gas sipping daily driver for myself. 3 point belt conversion will be a priority so my children can ride in it. Front buckets have lap belts and the rear seat was never drilled for belts. Right now it starts fine and runs fine although there are some rattles, clicks and squeaks to be located and fixed. Trunk was full of parts and good glass. Not shown is a full back glass.

I look forward to working on this car and learning about it here on the forums (here and slantsix.org). -Todd

20170706_161829.jpg
20170706_172055.jpg
20170706_172058.jpg
20170706_172106.jpg
20170706_180424.jpg
20170706_180433.jpg
20170711_172742.jpg
20170711_174006.jpg
20170711_174040.jpg
20170711_174105.jpg

Congrats!

Those 2nd Gen Valiants are definitely growing on me!

The interior of that car looks to be in great shape. No apparent cracks in the dash and the seats look very nice.

Thanks everyone. I certainly am enjoying it and anxious to get my service manual and dig in.

Did this car come out of St. Louis area? I saw one like it that appeared to be in excellent condition, and I believe it is this one. Nice catch.

I restored the badly crusted/rusted fender tag. now I can read it!
20170714_154720.jpg

Can anyone help with the top portion of the fender tag? I have the bottom portion but can't find any consensus on the top string of numbers (1-0) or the second string of Alphabet.

Last portion reads:
SO-Shipping Order (Delivery Date) - 1112 (11/12/1964)
Number-Production Sequence - 5135
BDY-Body Style - 142
TRM-Trim Color - Tan
PMT-Body Color - XX1 (Beige)

such a well taken care of Mopar.
I will mention this and yo might already be aware of the safety issues of that single pot master cylinder. if you get a leak, you will have no breaks. many will get rid of it and replace with the dual pot MC and accompanying lines necessary, oR I have done this: keep the single MC and replace all lines, and MC and wheel cylinders, hoses etc... and too many will replace with disc setup. just be safe and enjoy that nice ride!
thosands of threads on here bout brakes!!

Are you interested in selling any of those parts? I would really like one of those radio bezels!

Not yet but in the future I will probably offer some of it for sale. Taking stock of what I need now and what I might need in the future.

such a well taken care of Mopar.
I will mention this and yo might already be aware of the safety issues of that single pot master cylinder. if you get a leak, you will have no breaks. many will get rid of it and replace with the dual pot MC and accompanying lines necessary, oR I have done this: keep the single MC and replace all lines, and MC and wheel cylinders, hoses etc... and too many will replace with disc setup. just be safe and enjoy that nice ride!
thosands of threads on here bout brakes!!

Thank you! The brake cylinder and 3 point harnesses are the two top things on my list to get taken care of.

So here is something curious I just noticed about my car this past weekend. Check out the front fenders!
20170723_193633.jpg

20170723_193644.jpg

Gas gauge never worked when I bought it and after testing the gauge I determined it was a stuck fuel sender. Coincidentally I put a new locking gas cap with a good seal on it on the car and the proper seal on the tank caused enough pressure to cause a leak at the sender (the spout). So, ordered a new sender and installed on Monday. No leak now and gauge works. I accidentally broke the ground strap taking it off but the gauge still reads?
20170724_175932.jpg

-
Back