New car rant

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Was responding to a new car issue and it went off the rails, decided it was better to just start a new low value thread.

Id never buy a new car or truck...again. Whats the upside? You got the new car smell and a warranty that's not worth squat.
Downside: You lost 30% when you drove it off the lot. Your tied to a 60-70 $400+/month payment and you have to keep enough insurance on it to please the bank who owns it before its paid off. Soft tires on new cars aren't worth 30k miles. Your in that new 60K car or truck about 3 hours a day and your driving next to other potentially uninsured people who dont give a **** and would ding your new ride with a shopping cart as easy as blowing their nose. You worry about scratches, mud puddles, dirty boots....wary of any creak or whine or whistle and are at the mercy of the dealership to either believe you, or take your car for 4-5 days to diagnose and maybe repair it or worse, give you the green weanie and tell you its not anything they can hear or fix. Whats the next recall for? They are only tools to get me from my house to work and back, not status symbols. My fun cars are all used, or built by me. Im aware of all the cosmetic dysfunctions, and they don't bother me unless I cant fix them, ie. paint. I find squeeks, ticks and vibrations a challenge. I scoff at the new car ads on TV. The new Mercedes or Audi or whatever the Kardashians are driving nowadays parked alone at an odd angle, always with the wheels cranked to one side in front of a posh restaurant, beach or some other hip joint, when in reality there are 6 of the same cars parked in the back next to all other forms of generic econo boxes. Face it, your brand new car is not that special, not that unique...they sold 17 that day that look exactly like yours and they are all parked in the same mall parking lot, stuck in the same traffic your stuck in, driving the same speed....My paid off POS Mazda pickup is ahead of you, Hows that 50K ride smelling?. Just a rant. Been there once, never again. 2-3 years old with a nice detail service and maybe 24k on it to work out the bugs is new enough for me, and its 30% off. Just let your new teen driver who's gonna buy their first 5 year financial prison sentence, ie. a new car, in on this secret: Buy used. They will thank you.

I tend to get tired of fixing it in the dark in the middle of winter just so I can go to work the next morning.

Was responding to a new car issue and it went off the rails, decided it was better to just start a new low value thread.

Id never buy a new car or truck...again. Whats the upside? You got the new car smell and a warranty that's not worth squat.
Downside: You lost 30% when you drove it off the lot. Your tied to a 60-70 $400+/month payment and you have to keep enough insurance on it to please the bank who owns it before its paid off. Soft tires on new cars aren't worth 30k miles. Your in that new 60K car or truck about 3 hours a day and your driving next to other potentially uninsured people who dont give a **** and would ding your new ride with a shopping cart as easy as blowing their nose. You worry about scratches, mud puddles, dirty boots....wary of any creak or whine or whistle and are at the mercy of the dealership to either believe you, or take your car for 4-5 days to diagnose and maybe repair it or worse, give you the green weanie and tell you its not anything they can hear or fix. Whats the next recall for? They are only tools to get me from my house to work and back, not status symbols. My fun cars are all used, or built by me. Im aware of all the cosmetic dysfunctions, and they don't bother me unless I cant fix them, ie. paint. I find squeeks, ticks and vibrations a challenge. I scoff at the new car ads on TV. The new Mercedes or Audi or whatever the Kardashians are driving nowadays parked alone at an odd angle, always with the wheels cranked to one side in front of a posh restaurant, beach or some other hip joint, when in reality there are 6 of the same cars parked in the back next to all other forms of generic econo boxes. Face it, your brand new car is not that special, not that unique...they sold 17 that day that look exactly like yours and they are all parked in the same mall parking lot, stuck in the same traffic your stuck in, driving the same speed....My paid off POS Mazda pickup is ahead of you, Hows that 50K ride smelling?. Just a rant. Been there once, never again. 2-3 years old with a nice detail service and maybe 24k on it to work out the bugs is new enough for me, and its 30% off. Just let your new teen driver who's gonna buy their first 5 year financial prison sentence, ie. a new car, in on this secret: Buy used. They will thank you.

I have to laugh, my newest vehicle is 2003 and in very nice shape, 16 years old. I will let someone else buy the new cars, depreciated them all the way down, then I will make a driver out of 'em if I need another car in the future.

**** yeah Steve on point! Im 29 and i never had a car over 1972, i owned my cars when i pulled my wallet out that day, all my friends tell me but i got AC and i get 35mpg blah blah blah but guess what 400.00 bucks a month on payments **** i can drive a big block around with that on gas lol. Also by the time your done paying it, it anit worth ****. Your Dodge ram of ford transformer will lose value but my POS 1964 Dart will continue to gain value lol.

I daily drive a 68 dart. I refuse to drive a newer car. Back in 2010 and again in 2013, my parents made a deal that pretty much still stands. If I got rid of all my old cars, sold or scrapped.....i could go to any dodge dealership and pick out a brand new car. Their price range would have included a new challenger but a 6 cylinder one.

That seems like a good deal on the surface but by then I had already had a decent collection of old cars. 68 , 69 darts, a 72 Demon and three dusters. ALL of those cars would have had to go for their deal.

I chose to stay with the old ones, so I have to suffer it out on 100 + degree days with no a/c and wilted hair and make up (I'm a girl if you didn't know by now) in the summer.
In the winter freezing for like 3 miles till it finally gets some heat going.

My dad drives a 2016 Mercedes S500 and I have driven it and see what a really nice new car feels like that is reliable enough to drive cross country anytime. Lots of power, concert stereo sound, true comfort and power everything. It is nice, but that comes with a price.

I just can't bring myself to giving up on such loyal dogs from the past. I feel if I buy something newer on my own and reduce the driving time on the old ones, they will go downhill and I will feel like I missed out on a lot good times. Maybe I am just being weird about it but parking a car you love in storage is worse than putting your favorite pet down. IMO

I have never owned a car that was built in the same decade in which I was living. My 2007 Charger was 5 years old when I bought it at half of the price it was when it drove off the lot.

An additional point. When my wife and I are done shopping, we go out to the car but can't remember where we parked. We look around and can't find it because they all look the same. So the wife presses the button on the remote (she won't have a car more than three years old) to locate it. I remind her that would never happen if I was allowed to buy her that 1956 Nomad two tone with electric windows and air conditioning that I was looking at. Then she turns to me and gives me that look, (if you are married you know the "look"). I will never win that argument- but I keep trying. I still love my '68 cuda.

I daily drive my 1974 Duster. (Restomod in progress)
Even during the winter with snow tires.
(Don't worry on the really bad days where there's 6+ inches of snow, I borrow the wife's Tahoe)
Heck, I've driven my Duster to Louisville, CO and back to visit family. 500 miles one way (I live in Utah).
No problems.
3000 rpm at around 74mph, about 16-17mpg.
I love it!
BTW, A500 OD and aftermarket A/C coming soon...

I drive my 68 more door most days, not today though, it’s been acting up a little.... I think the battery is going south. I have my old 95 rusty 4x4 ram and a big block powered 48 Plymouth deluxe for back up. My nice car is an 06 magnum srt8. No new car in my future.

Screw that ****. I have a 80 Mile round trip for work and I'm using a modern, reliable, good on gas and safer car for that. Even though my Honda was new it doesn't have to be new. My last Toyota was slightly used when we bought it. Think it was a year old with 3000 miles on it. Was a demo. My old cars are toys and that's all. I can't be bothered having to constantly fix the old **** if used as a daily driver. If I only worked 5 miles away it may be different but that isnt the case. I like high 30's mpg. Anything less kills me paying for gas and gas is only going to go up and make it worse.

New cars have a purpose more than just big payments and property taxes (here in Connecticut.)

I own a welding company and a payment when I don’t buy trucks new (Dodges) for cash is better than a truck being down - if old and being fixed then it’s not out at a job site making me money, and I have guys sitting around. Yes, we have one back up truck- just in case. But it is a PITA to keep switching over welders and gear from truck to truck. I personally buy vehicles for the wife and I but we have gotten to a place in life of “running them into the dirt and paying them off as fast as we can.” Currently the 2012 3500 I drive and her 2013 (both Dodges) are over 140,000miles. You just have to take care of them.... but they are just tools to me. Yes I love “new and shinney” but manufactures are in the business of selling new cars not used. Dealerships sell used. And if everyone bought used PISHTA... even our mother MoPar would be out of business.

Also, please remember there is a good part of the world who don’t know what end of a screwdriver to use and HAVE to buy new or gently used. Sadly not everyone of us is “mechanically inclined.” Lol!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as most of you. Newest car is a 2007 PT Cruiser, the last new car we bought.Next is mother-in-laws 95 Toyota that she gave us when she quit driving 3 years ago.The only non Mopar.Then my 88 D350 That keeps chugging along. With regular service and as long as I can get parts for 'um I have no need for a overpriced new car.

Well I just bought a new 2019 Cherokee. I have a 27 mile 1 way commute 5 days week that ranges from unlit, no line back roads to overcrowded freeways. I also schlep my two young boys around, so modern safety and reliability is necessary, for me. Trust me I didn't want a payment, fortunately my wife's 2015 Journey just got paid off. A lot depends on your lifestyle, income, family, where you live, and who you are.

I do agree though, I see young people (20's) in $50-$70k cars/trucks and ask where do they get their money? Then you see $8k in lifts, $5K with wheels and tires, etc...

i've bought a new truck about every five years for the last 20 years, reason for my buisness, driving 50k a year, doing commercial construction many times in the hood, needed the reliability to get me the hell out of there, getting older and buisness is more local and into more residential, 2014 dodge ram is my current daily driver vehicle that was 38k. i am debt free now and never going back into financial slavery, bought a cheap car lift instead, paid cash! I just say no to the payment, and I sleep better at night.

My commute is 68 miles round trip as well. I'm not into brand new cars. I have an 08 Accord bought used, long since paid for it still looks new. I haven't had a single mechanical failure on that car.

I if I was going to get another car. I would buy something 3 to 5 years old, just to save some money.

all depends on what you buy, big 3 car/truck? yep it tanks when you pull off the lot. my WRX I drove for 3 years, put 50k on it and traded it in and got 1500 less than I bought it for. 1500 to drive a car for 3 years.... my forester wasn't as good but still wasn't bad. I'm betting my Tundra will be the same deal. I drive to far on not maintained roads to drive my old stuff year round.

I daily a 1991 Volvo 240 mint condition (1500$) and also have a 2008 cumins (21k vs. 47k new). No emissions BS on either and they are both super reliable and get good mileage.

50+ round trip a day to work plus other driving.

I drive a 2000 Volvo V70R that I got for 1700$ lol, my newest vehicle. My backup is my 65 Dart and then I have 3 undrivable project cars. I can’t see myself in a newer vehicle but my lady likes them.

I've never bought a new car and likely never will.

I have bought three cars/trucks that were about 2.5 years old.

Still several months of factory warranty left, and $8, $10, even $12K less with way less dealer hassles.

It really is the best of both worlds.

I was just thinking that I should include that the wife and I are retired. We live in a small town,so we don't have the need as we put less that 10,000 miles total on all 3 that we have. Now if it was 20 years ago when we both worked and each of us put at least 100 miles daily on our cars that would be a different story.

all depends on what you buy, big 3 car/truck? yep it tanks when you pull off the lot. my WRX I drove for 3 years, put 50k on it and traded it in and got 1500 less than I bought it for. ..
You traded in a WRX and got 1500 less than you paid for it after 3 years? WTH did you pay for it originally?? Uhh, if new was only $1500 more than 3 years old, I reckon someone would pony up for new. Ive never heard of such a return on a trade-in unless that WRX was a super model (Like the Buick GNX) and the next version tanked. Sounds like you got the deal of the century. Good on ya..

You traded in a WRX and got 1500 less than you paid for it after 3 years? WTH did you pay for it originally?? Uhh, if new was only $1500 more than 3 years old, I reckon someone would pony up for new. Ive never heard of such a return on a trade-in unless that WRX was a super model (Like the Buick GNX) and the next version tanked. Sounds like you got the deal of the century. Good on ya..

I paid less than sticker, the WRX I guess could be considered a GNX of the tuner world. I always take care of my cars so when I trade them in they look the same as when they roll off the lot. That probably helped a Lot, since most are fart canned and /or riced out when traded in.

-
Back