New Carpet Question

-

69GT

Reaction score
Does anyone know if new carpet for a 4-speed car already comes with the opening cut in it for the shifter? I've been looking for a column shifted automatic 70-71 Swinger to replace my 4-speed car but haven't found anything to my liking so I am thinking about converting my car to a column shift automatic. I will of course keep all of the 4-speed parts and I don't want to remove the shifter hump either but since my carpet is already opened up for the shifter, I was hoping I could get new carpet that would not have a pre-cut hole in it for the shifter.

Al is correct.
But if you are converting to auto on column from a 4 speed, you will have to decide if you want to retain the steel floor hump.
ACC carpets have a molded in bulge for the hump. If you are removing the hump and are welding in a filler piece, you would order the automatic version carpet.

The two sets I've installed on my car when it was a factory 4 speed car did not have the hole cut.

Al is correct.
But if you are converting to auto on column from a 4 speed, you will have to decide if you want to retain the steel floor hump.
ACC carpets have a molded in bulge for the hump. If you are removing the hump and are welding in a filler piece, you would order the automatic version carpet.

That's why I was asking if the hole was already cut. I am going to leave the hump there as it is an original 4-speed car and I'll make a cover plate to put over the hole and then put new 4-speed molded carpet over it. I'm glad to hear that new carpet will not have the hole cut in it.

Thanks guys.

-
Back