NEW Drag Strip In CT

-
That would be FANTASTIC, not to mention a "dream-come-true" for all of us.
More power to him!!! I know my kids and I will support the place.

George

George!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up Dave!

I just saw somthing about this on my facebook page from a friend. I sure hope this happens !

You guys are lucky 2 tracks closed here in the last 2 years the one that was about 35 miles away is going to be houses and office space if they get there way. The other one was about 65 miles away is now the expansion of an apartment complex. It was in the middle of town but it had been there before the town was built up so much. They are trying to build a new track a little farther south off interstate 95 but that is still in the planning stages so we will see but Good luck on yours

I always start drooling,at the thought of a new drag strip,lol. Good luck,guys.

They've been chasing the dragstrip dream in CT since CT Dragway got sold to Consumer Reports... It normally gets squashed because inevitably someone can hear or see it, or the land is more valuable as investment/development. This has led to areas like "BIR" (Bolton International Raceway aka I-384), the Berlin Turnpike (and CT RT 9), the CT RT-6 bypass, and various other street racing areas to pop up.
I liek the fact that this guy is keeping reality in mind. You will never get a 1/4 mile strip in CT - the land's too valuable and too much of a 1/4 mile track is non-income producing. The 1/8th mile is more than perfect, and with strict sound enforcement I think that has a chance. I will remain optimistic on this one - RT32 is a short bike ride from my house - but I think somewhere further East or north and east is more likely.

Never been to an 1/8th mile track but do like the idea of getting more runs in during a test & tune day. Also if it's easier on the engine, that's not such a bad thing. One issue is rear gearing but could build a 1/8th mile specific chuck although I was looking forward to building a Dana.

I really hope it goes thru as I'm only an hour or so away.

I can not wait , this is great news for CT. too bad its just an 1/8th mile but im happy its a drag strip,i hope it opens soon!!!I will go as much as I can!!!!!

When you consider that mst street races - meaning two cars lined up at a light - not the 2am cash races - is less than 1/4 mile anyway, it's not a big deal. A fast 1/4 mile car is a fast 1/8 mile car even if not optimized. This promoter does 100' drags and some cars will do that in a hair over a second, while on a "track" that is inclined slightly because it's a circle track. It's almost to the point of "anything is better than nothing". Plus - insurance for a track owner is less when the cars don't get going as fast.
The proposed location is literally 3 miles from my house. Only slightly further (and a different direction) than the rt6 bypass where I test now.

Me too. I knew about the plan - didn't know there was a petition...

Looks like the link is dead at this time. Too bad, I still live in Colchester and remember going up to the drag strip all the time. I went back a few years ago and the tower was still there and there was a tennis court built at the end of the drag lanes.

Oh well.

-
Back