New engine noise

-

pierre71

Reaction score
I had a slant built 2-3 years ago and am now just getting around to putting it in. Still on the stand, no plugs but otherwise fully assembled. I squirted some oil down the holes and turned it via wrench around several times.

Turns fairly easily however there’s a squeak at a few points. I believe I have it narrowed down to certain valves/guides. I can feel a slight vibration if I place my fingers over a particular spring during the squeak

Is this something to worry about? I tried drenching the springs and stems in oil but it didn’t help much. It uses positive seals so I don’t think much of any oil got down the stems.

Hard to tell. If you are lucky it might just be a dried out valve stem seal.

I yanked the pan and added more oil to the cylinders from the bottom and to the cam. I flipped it back around on the stand and put more into the plug holes. Still the same sound.

Yanked the rocker shaft … bottom end is quiet.

Waiting for my valve spring compressor to come in. Even if the seals were dried out I am having a hard time believing they’d be this loud… unless they somehow shrunk significantly. They were brown with a metal sleeve if that’s any indication of material

I wonder if I should stick with stock umbrella type or try for some better positive type.

I've got one that I have slowly put together over a couple of years, a project "as I have time and money" to do. I got the engine done a couple of months ago and being not in a hurry, I was gonna leave the engine sit on the stand for a while. Didn't know that I wanted to spoil my NOS carb with today's "gas" knowing that I won't be driving it for a while. (Don't have it licensed titles it insured yet) I hope to do the body work this winter before I do all the "legal stuff".
Anyway the point of all that is that I wanted to get the oil flowing sooner than later just because of issues like you brought up.

-
Back