New exhaust system rubber has come out on hangers

-

Sirsmiley9

Reaction score
On my new exhaust system the hangers at the end of the tailpipe are having the square rubber insert coming out of the square tube, and the metal pipe is rattling around in that tube, and I can’t seem to force it back in. Anyone ever dealt with this. The exhaust systems less than a year old. If I can fix this without welding that would be ideal, because I don’t have access to one

Usually when the rubber comes out of the hanger it's because there is a misalignment of the exhaust pipes as witnessed by you not being able to force it back in place. If the pipes are pulling on the mounts they will cause the rubbers to come out of the hangers. If the pipes are properly aligned then just tie wrap them in place?? But pics would help a lot!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I should be able to get some pics in maybe an hour and a half, but that sounds like what happened. The rubber inserts had 2 flat pieces that were ends wider than the metal, and on both sides those have ripped off at the back and both are being pulled up the hanger towards the front of the car.

I should be able to get some pics in maybe an hour and a half, but that sounds like what happened. The rubber inserts had 2 flat pieces that were ends wider than the metal, and on both sides those have ripped off at the back and both are being pulled up the hanger towards the front of the car.
When the exhaust is hanging loose it should be really close to being aligned (except for the weight of the pipes).

When the exhaust is hanging loose it should be really close to being aligned (except for the weight of the pipes).
I’m not sure what that means should the metal rod be nearly centered in the square tube?

I’m not sure what that means should the metal rod be nearly centered in the square tube?

Pictures will keep the conversation accurate, but in the scenario of the hanger being disconnected, the system should be close to being in place only relying on the hanger to nudge it into place. i think that is what Treblig (Heelbeartoe) was saying.

Pictures will keep the conversation accurate, but in the scenario of the hanger being disconnected, the system should be close to being in place only relying on the hanger to nudge it into place. i think that is what Treblig (Heelbeartoe) was saying.
"Heelbeartoe" .....I'm impressed!!!! Many FABO members won't get it!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here is a photo of the side that hasn’t come out yet but is on it way

F7058CAE-04DF-4797-8D19-2E38DDBF6CFF.jpeg

On my new exhaust system the hangers at the end of the tailpipe are having the square rubber insert coming out of the square tube, and the metal pipe is rattling around in that tube, and I can’t seem to force it back in. Anyone ever dealt with this. The exhaust systems less than a year old. If I can fix this without welding that would be ideal, because I don’t have access to one
Push it back in then drill a small hole and put a screw through it or you can slot a large washer stick it up against that bushing on the hanger rod and weld it.

Push it back in then drill a small hole and put a screw through it or you can slot a large washer stick it up against that bushing on the hanger rod and weld it.

Hell, I was going to say a couple zip ties or the olde fashion coat hanger trick.

Here is a photo of the side that hasn’t come out yet but is on it way

View attachment 1715799302
Looks like you can loosen the bracket and rotate it towards the back to get it to align a little better. From the pic it looks like they installed the bracket too far forward?? But maybe it moved forward on its' own (worked itself forward)?? If you can't rotate it to relieve the stress on the rubber grommet you could also remove the bracket and make a slot where the bolt goes through so you can move it towards the back.

or drill hole and use a washer and cotter pin.....totally factory.

Looks like the rubber only has raised edges on one side vs both so it stays put in the metal bracket? Anyway, Maybe those style clamps work for factory systems but I’ve had a few cars with muffler shop work either already done when the car was bought or had work done ourselves and have had the hanger rods break.The design is for speed of assembly vs longevity like the old style clamp hangers, which take more time to affix. But they work and they last.

The rod through center of hanger is too big. Or needs lubricating. In my opinion its not the greatest setup, i prefer to see more flexibility in hangers. Too rigid the hangers break off or pipes crack.

I went back and looked at the pic again this morning. From what I can see there is nothing keeping the rubber grommet from backing out. If the rod has no washer welded on the backside where it contacts the grommet it will back out no matter what. At first I thought that the bracket had rotated but now I can see that even if the bracket hadn't rotated the grommet could still back out. Is there a large washer welded onto the rod on the backside where the grommet is backing out?? Also it almost looks like the exhaust pipe is very close to the bracket, is it touching or would it touch under vibration.....if so it needs more clearance.

Also it almost looks like the exhaust pipe is very close to the bracket, is it touching or would it touch under vibration
looks like you are spot on.

If no welder or heat on hand to reform post to make it hang 1/4" lower, what about rubber grommet between hanger and frame? It looks like he has some threads to spare there. That coupled with the 'drill hole and use washer with cotter pin or use hose clamp could work. I like the hole/washer cotter pin situation, but the hose clamp might be a good quickie solution....

-
Back