new family member! 72 dart no budget build

-
I took it out for a drive around my neighborhood.

The tq made a huge difference. It feels really light on its feet, and has a nice crisp throttle response!

I did my first burnout!!!

It was great. I have junk tires, so I annihilated the one at the business end of the peg leg.

so, now that its running and driving pretty well, i gotta start getting the interior worked over.
I am gonna start with the dash pad.
A repop or NOS dash pad is just to expensive for me. Also, it doesnt go with this build anyway. I am trying to refurbish as many parts as possible, so i bought a dash cap!

the first step is to clean up the original pad. Since mine already had a shitty redo on it, it became a nightmare immediately. look at all that residue stuff...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 128
  • FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 130
  • FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 129
  • FullSizeRender (8).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 136
so i used lacquer thinner and a rag to get that old adhesive off. it took hours!!!

The cap looked to be a nice part when i unboxed it.

following the directions, i applied a bead of the supplied adhesive all the way around. i also taped it up nice and snug....

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 130
  • FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 141
it worked!

the glue held. and it fit in pretty good!

it was very difficult to show the reveal on the top of the dash closest to the windsheild, so the photos suck.

all in all, im happy.

patience was my greatest asset on this refurb

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (13).jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 123
  • FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 122
  • FullSizeRender (12).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 134
  • FullSizeRender (11).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 130
so, i dont know if these gauges even work. the cluster was out of the car when i got it, so everything is unknown. but, i new for sure my alternator gauge was bad, as it was all smashed and wrinkled up.

i bought one from steves parts. it was priced right and arrived fast, so i got cracking.

i think my dash cluster is from the wrong year. i had to modify the alternator gauge to even fit in the bucket. but, it all worked out!

Attachments

• IMG_3851.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 130
  • FullSizeRender (14).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 122
  • FullSizeRender (15).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 124
  • FullSizeRender (16).jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 128
i know i am going off the path a little bit here, but i want to do a few oddball things.

restoring the dash is a bit tricky when there is no budget for "justdashes" or a new bezel, so i am going to do it all myself.

I didnt want to paint the bezel, so i have decided to use a walnut veneer. this will tie in the walnut accents on the door panels, too.

I traced the bezel "grade school style" with notebook paper and a pencil.similar to how we traced a penny under the paper back in first grade. then i cut out the traced part and used it as a template.

the pics speak for themselves. i used a dremel to route the holes, a knife to trim the excess, and 220 sandpaper to cleanup the holes.

its getting there!!!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (17).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 123
  • FullSizeRender (19).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 120
  • FullSizeRender (20).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 126
  • FullSizeRender (21).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 124
I really like what you're doing. With my budget I might steal some of your tricks. :happy1:

i got the dash painted matte black. the prep work is always a real test of patience. but, it was probably faster and easier in the long. rather than pulling the dash out and cleaning and painting it on a table.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (24).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 106
finally got the gauge bezel veneer shaped and sanded, yikes! that took a while

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (23).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 94
i got the veneers stained and sealed. i sanded them to 400 grit and then blew the dust out of the grain with compressed air. I used an acetone based dye and a clear satin lacquer to seal it up for easy cleaning down the road.

i would not recommend using anything water based with veneer, as it will curl up and ruin your work.

Attachments

• IMG_3987.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3992 (1).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3993.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 92
Nice stain work.. I flat blacked mine,silver accents on high points.

well, i set the veneer onto the bezels.

the real walnut makes all the difference!

also, i know i went a little rogue with the gold accent, but walnut and gold look so good together.

if i was doing a dash on a formula s barracuda or a gts dart, i would have done it differently AND better. but, i want to get this dart on the road!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (25).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 91
  • FullSizeRender (26).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 86
  • FullSizeRender (27).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 94
  • FullSizeRender (28).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 88
Thanks Bomber!
that definitely crossed my mind. im gonna use alot of flat black in the interior, so i kinda thought id break it up a little. when i painted the base coat on the bezels, i thought. "****. this looks mean as it is!"

-
Back