New Forum: Shop, Garage and Tools

-

Joeychgo

FABO Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the new forum, Shop, Garage and Tools

Building a garage? Want to ask about which tool is better? Looking on information about your home shop?

After seeing some threads about building a garage, and seeing a number of threads about what tool is best, I thought creating this forum might be a good idea.

I hope you all agree!

- Joeychgo

A very good idea.
Now we can learn some of the Mechanic's secrete's on a few things and just go to that forum and look or ask.

I have heard about an air line system that is basically plug and play. You push the hard plastic tubing into one way compression fittings and cut the plastic tubing with a box knife or what not. They have different fittings and everything so that you can have several "access points". I am pretty sure I saw it on trucks or something like that. I can't remember the name though and have been looking for it for a while. If someone could help with that or that has used it before and has pro's and con's on it that would help.

Also I have had a lot of problems with air dryer systems and have gotten several of the I think they are called decanter systems that just have the inline oil filter and the one with the beads but I have still had problems with too much water in my air lines causing my sand blasting cabinet to clog. I would appreciate some advice on how to stop that.

Thirdly I am looking into buying a larger compressor soon and the one that I have been using is just a 33 gal one from Sears. I think it is like 5.5Hp or something along those lines with 130PSI max however I am constantly having to stop when I am running my cut off wheel and it is constantly running when I use a DA sander. I am looking for info on the difference between the 1 and 2 stage compressors and is I should go for a 60 or 80 gal. I appreciate advice on this also.

Great idea for a thread by the way

Thanks
Jeff

Hey Jeff,
I had the same air problems (I was bat **** crazy). Check out the dryer from Harbor Freight- part # 40211 it's $359.00 best investment I have made for my shop (allows for spraying base/clear coat too). Two stage, 80 gallon tank is the only way, I also hooked up my old 80 gallon tank (after it smoked the compressor) in-line for a combined 160 gallons. system is bullet proof!!! I can run 2 DAs, a die grinder along with my kids screwing around with bugs and a blow nozzle with out a miss. I also mounted all that outside on a dedicated slab I poured with sack-create and built a cheap 2x4 structure and siding. I then plumbed everything with-in the pump shed with galvanized pipe (due to heat)and everything after refrigerator I plumbed with 1/2" PVC. and plumbed stub-outs from the bottom of the tanks through the walls of the shed and capped them with 3/8" ball valves for bleeding tanks, very important.

hope this helps, air supply is no place to cut corners.

Yeah I can say that I agree with that very much. I plan to put mine outside also and insulate it to death so I don't have to listen to it running all the time. I was thinking that extra tank idea was a good one. I had the idea of using one of those very large propane tanks and running it inline since those are designed to hold a lot of pressure. I will look into that dryer system though. I can't stand not being able to sand blast or having to stop and unclog the damn thing.

Thanks
Jeff

-
Back