New Generation Slant six enthusiasts

-
Don't show them photos of the ones that threw a rod thru the side of the block, usually cyl 5 for some reason.
Or the ones that send a cam thru the rear of the block.
But I didn't give up on the slant! I dropped another right back. In spite of everyone I know telling me how stupid I was for not doing the V-8 swap.

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

Duster.jpg

The reason you you don't see the Dutra stuff and Clifford stuff isn't strictly because of the aging of the slant six. That stuff is just obsolete, period and a lot of people are basing the new toys on more current engines.

If someone released a DOHC aluminium head with a near bolt on EFI system, you'd see a boom in slant six enthusiasm. But for a lot of modern hotrodders, carbs are blase', cast iron is for tractors, and natural aspiration is what kills old people.

When you whittle down to the people that still use carbs, for example, there are still many but not as many as when that's all that there was. Whittle that population down further to those that like slant sixes, and then further to those with money..... and your pool is much much smaller.
Add in that people don't "do" castings so much anymore, that the cars that ran slant sixes are harder to find, and then the money thing again.

And the number of people that drove these cars new is rapidly approaching zero, the number of people that wax nostalgic for cars twenty years older than themselves (which seems to common to most car folks) are also beginning to thin out.

Out of those in the twenty year crowd (where I fall), many now have families and limited free money. The value of our seventies cars (and anything retro to the seventies) will bump again soon when our kids move out and money loosens.

This happened in the nineties with Harley and motorcycles in general (but Yamaha predicted it). Those that saw Easy Rider in the theatre had kids move out and had disposable income again. Now they're dying off and Harley sales are slowing down.

joe51700 is right on a lots of his take on it, and, most kids in their twenties ( 30's even??) hardly would know a carb if was sitting in their hand!??? And, Not enough technology for them either??? As far as supply of slant and slant cars out there, there are still many, many.
Value of the seventies cars??? I have an F body also, and I follow those 70 Mopars on various sites, mainly FB is most active. Those people into them are younger in general? maybe, but very enthusiast crowd. Reminds me of Mpar folk bk in 80's, 90's in particular.
Slant engine are still pulled, most are given away or close, ..slant cars are found, put back on the road every day, with or with the mighty slant.

I loved my slant it was my daily when i was in high school drove it for 3 years before foolishly locking it up completel my fault. So I pulled it and replaced it with a 318 I wish i would have found a block and rebuilt it while you could still find them oh well i will always cherish those memories of my 6 in a row!
Btw my tags read go6naro

I loved my slant it was my daily when i was in high school drove it for 3 years before foolishly locking it up completel my fault. So I pulled it and replaced it with a 318 I wish i would have found a block and rebuilt it while you could still find them oh well i will always cherish those memories of my 6 in a row!
Btw my tags read go6naro
Members on here pull slants in favor of v8's every day, most time they figure out that that slant, even though a perfectly good running engine, is worth between free and $150 IMHO, Rarely does anyone pay more.

The slant is great. When I was in high school, I bought a Duster with a 360 for 500 bucks. I started fixing it up, and decided to buy a slant Duster. It had 90,000 miles (500 bucks also) on it, and I drove it everywhere for a couple years. Never broke down and I was not easy on it. Loved it. They are also going up in value. In fact, a pink one at Barrett sold for 20 something thousand.

-
Back