New guy from PA... from h2o cooled VW to mopar

-

mccula

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name's Jon. I live outside of Phila. PA.
Used to have watercooled VWs, a mk3 jetta, and a built up mk4 GTI 1.8t.
The GTI was fast as hell, it was big turbo, and slammed down on coilovers and nice wheels, as well as a whole lot of other mods.
Here's a pic of the old ride:
rolling.jpg

Yes, I drove it that low daily, and yes, it's on coilover suspension, no air ride here.
Here's the goods:
abaybay.jpg

Anyways, I moved on from that. I learned everything I know building that car (did it all myself) and grew up all my life with american muscle. I knew it was coming eventually, and I knew it would be a mope. Dad's had vettes, mustangs, and mopars... I always liked the best ones the best (the mopars lol).
I started searching for really anything with a 340 and 4 on the floor in it, but didn't find what I wanted. I really wanted a 340 dart.
But I found what I bought- a 1969 318 4 spd. barracuda. Got a decent deal on her, but the PO was a lying asshole, long story short, it needed alot of work we didn't catch when we bought it.
BUT- It's roadworthy now... swapped out the PS for manual steering, we swapped the front drums to discs, also, we are going to be swapping the 7 1/4 out for an 8 3/4 posi next week. Also, the car had a 68 hood and grille, we're going to a 69 soon enough. Respraying black or blue. The 318 has a 340 intake, holley 650 4 bbl, heddman hedders and a 340 cam. She gets up a little. Will chirp 2nd. I want to put heads on her.
Here's the one pic I have so far, sorry it's only the *** end though.
challengerandcuda.jpg

I'll have some more soon!
Hoping to get a 2009 B5 Blue R/T after college (I'm in nursing school... class of 2012.)

Welcome to FABO mccula. :cheers:
I was born in Reading and lived there around there untill 1980.
Good looking car.

Welcome to FABO.Nice bcuda,course I could be a lil biased.

Biased or not, your right.

Welcome aboard. Those VW's are quick suckers and can get up and go nicely. One of our MODs here has one. Quick lil'sucker and IIRC, all stock. Theres another guy that just joined up from doing imports as well. I don't get hoping up a 4cyl. engine though a turbo to start on it is a great way to get it going well.

Sorry to say, your picture of the VW showing me the goods doesn't show me anyting, mostly because I don't know anything about them. It just looks stock to me.

Good luck on becomeing a RN!

Welcome aboard. Those VW's are quick suckers and can get up and go nicely. One of our MODs here has one. Quick lil'sucker and IIRC, all stock. Theres another guy that just joined up from doing imports as well. I don't get hoping up a 4cyl. engine though a turbo to start on it is a great way to get it going well.

Sorry to say, your picture of the VW showing me the goods doesn't show me anyting, mostly because I don't know anything about them. It just looks stock to me.

Is that Rumble jr.? Neat, I never had any boys must make ya proud.

Yes it is. That's lil'Joe. Pictured at age 6, (Last year) he asked to help and wondered himself how to work on a carb. So I had him rebuild it himself. He did ALL the work himself except use of the air hose to blow out the passages. Pressure was set at 90 psi and it's not for kids.

He asks once in awhile to work on the car. He does make me proud since he's a natural go getter and picks up very quick.

Nice mk4; Same thing for me always stuck between the two (v dub and mopar) but I'm a tech at a vw dealer. Use to have a 71demon with a mk3 vr6 as a daily. Then I bought a Imola yellow 20th ae. Now I sold the 20th and building a 69 2 doors valiant.

Welcome! I am located just South of York, Pa

Thanks for the kind words.. I'm gonna be a BSN though, not an RN :-D Better money to boot.
The VW was big turbo, had a front mount intercooler, an a full 3" exhaust hand built by me using summit mandrel bends and straights. All you can see in that picture is the turbo... towards the back of the engine, the big metal snail :snakeman: That car was stupid fast.

While I'm at it... does anyone know how much hp/tq the car would appx. be making with a 340 cam, edelbrock performer RPM heads and intake, and a holley 650?
I'm trying to see if doing the Eddy heads would be worth it. I'd rather not swap the engine out for a 360... but if I swapped, that's what I'd do. Anyone know what the eddy heads add?

-
Back