New guy with a 66 Dart

-

Faderus

Reaction score
I am new to the Mopar world, but come from a Chevy SB and turbo Subaru background. I bought the car a couple of days ago.

Feel free to chime in with any info. The car is a 66 Dart, 440, 750 cfm carb, 727, 8 3/4 rear end with unknown gearing. I don't know much about it, other than what's posted above and I found out the hard way that the gas gauge doesn't work and it gets remarkably bad gas mileage.

Any clue where I can get headers for this thing?

IMG_5552.jpg

IMG_5554.jpg

IMG_5555.jpg

IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5562.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome!! Cool ride, Yes there is a whole group here in A body big block cars! Poor gas mileage, yep! But it hauls ***, right! Be carefull around corners till you get some sway bars maybe?

A 66 Dart with a 440 under the hood and 4 wheel drum brakes with a single reservoir master cylinder. I like this new guy! Welcome to FABO.

F gas mileage go back and giggle like a school girl! Welcome from PA!

A 66 Dart with a 440 under the hood and 4 wheel drum brakes with a single reservoir master cylinder. I like this new guy! Welcome to FABO.
Nope, front disk brakes. Current todo list:

-full tune up
-fuel assesment/bigger electric fuel pump as it's only pushing 3 psi at idle and drops at much above that.
-Cooling system...Doesn't like to sit in traffic and creeps up over 220 pretty quick. Planning to ditch the electric pusher and add a better shroud for the mechanical fan. The Radiator was re cored a year ago
-front fender to tire clearance issues...when I turn sharp or turn much at all while the shock is compressed
-HEADERS...these have holes in the primaries

and now apparently I need a 2 zone master cylinder.

Welcome!! Cool ride, Yes there is a whole group here in A body big block cars! Poor gas mileage, yep! But it hauls ***, right! Be carefull around corners till you get some sway bars maybe?
My Subaru's are faster but this one is more fun. Handling is actually better than I'd anticipated though that isn't saying much.

You'll find that new tanks and replacement senders leave something to be desired but are better than a non working gauge for sure.

Grew up about 45 mins from there, my dad worked at Waterloo Industries. Ran a club in Cedar Falls once upon a time.
I grew up in CF through the 70's and 80's. I probably tipped a few in your Dad's bar. LOL

That's a whole lot of motor that mother mopar never intended to go in an early a body (63-66 dart,valiant,barracuda). Its hard enough to get headers for a small block. Usually no room on driverside around steering column. There maybe someone making new headers but I doubt cheap. Cool car, have fun and good luck

Nope, front disk brakes. Current todo list:

-full tune up
-fuel assesment/bigger electric fuel pump as it's only pushing 3 psi at idle and drops at much above that.
-Cooling system...Doesn't like to sit in traffic and creeps up over 220 pretty quick. Planning to ditch the electric pusher and add a better shroud for the mechanical fan. The Radiator was re cored a year ago
-front fender to tire clearance issues...when I turn sharp or turn much at all while the shock is compressed
-HEADERS...these have holes in the primaries

and now apparently I need a 2 zone master cylinder.
Pusher fans are a lot less effective then a puller fan. I've been through this already with my previous engine (supercharged 340). I tried every cooling trick known to mankind the cool that thing with only marginal results. I currently have a 418 Stroker in it right now and I'm calling it with a 22 in Champion radiator and a fan from a Chevy HHR. It runs between 190 and 200 degrees

I grew up in CF through the 70's and 80's. I probably tipped a few in your Dad's bar. LOL
No, to clarify I ran a club in cf in the early 00
Pusher fans are a lot less effective then a puller fan. I've been through this already with my previous engine (supercharged 340). I tried every cooling trick known to mankind the cool that thing with only marginal results. I currently have a 418 Stroker in it right now and I'm calling it with a 22 in Champion radiator and a fan from a Chevy HHR. It runs between 190 and 200 degrees
One thing that's unusual about the discussion around these engines is the wide range of opinions on temperature. I have seen everything from 180-220 being quoted as acceptable, and even been told that they don't like to run well below 200.

Are you saying that I will not be likely to get it to a good running temp with a 3 core radiator and a good shroud around the mechanical fan?

Last edited:
-
Back