New intake just pours out water.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
filled up the radiatior and got a nice leak out of both passanger side water jackets. Valley pan is full of antifreeze.. yay.

I guess im gonna clean the metal gaskets ditch the cork section and sillyclown the front rear and waterjackets...

Is there any hope this will work?

Engine is a 318 and weiand action plus +.

Thanks again.

If you can use Felpro print O seal gaskets, no cork ends (Silicone) and just a light coating of silicone around the front and rear water ports.

You have to be a little particular with the metals gaskets.

two things...i would not use metal gasket with aluminium intake..and would not use the cork end seals...

and put rtv under the gasket and on top of the gasket around the water ports..

Have the heads and/or intake been milled?

I would also recommend using gaska-cinch on the gaskets to help them stick to the parts and seal better. Then put a line of rtv in the corners where the gaskets meet. You can get it from Mancini Racing if you can't find it locally.

I worked for a guy who swore by this stuff and it works great. I use it on all of my flat gaskets. I call it gaska-snot because it reminds me of snot. It's long and stringy like a bugger when it's wet, and dries to a rubber where you can roll it between your fingers and flick it like a bugger. So it resembles snot wet and dry, therefore I call it gaska-snot.

It's basically rubber cement. But it helps stick the parts to the gaskets and also makes assembly easier.

Here's what the cans look like:

View attachment Gaskacinch 01.jpg

View attachment Gaskacinch 02.jpg

I don't care if you use that whole can of gaskasnot up there ^^^^^ metal gaskets are not supposed to be used with aluminum intakes. They will have trouble sealing every time. Looks like you found that out.

Heads have as far as I can tell have never been removed. Manifold is brand spankin shiney new.

I think I realised the issue, when dry fitting the manifold just now ( to check and see if milling had been done) the dang manifold hung up on the valve cover and needed a slight "Fonzie" to go home. I bet I bolted her up last night while still hung up on the valve covers...

I need to order a drop base air cleaner so I guess I should order that gasket set as well?
I dont want to dammage a new intake with crappy NAPA gaskets..

Thanks again for all the time and advice.

Gasketsnot is not shippable to CA. (by summit)

I ordered the Felpro #1243 Gasket set.

Should I use the cork sections?
I did the math earler and one metal gasket is .060.
So two gaskets equal .120 half of that is back to .060.

With no gaskets my manifold sits .070 off the timing cover.

the new non compressed cork sections measure in at .125.

The gasget set I ordered is .060 non metal.
Should I bother with the cork sections or just RTV front and back?

Thanks again.

I don't care if you use that whole can of gaskasnot up there ^^^^^ metal gaskets are not supposed to be used with aluminum intakes. They will have trouble sealing every time. Looks like you found that out.

I didn't recommend using the metal gaskets, I just recommended gaskacinch. I use it on the composite gaskets and cork gaskets.

I haven't used a metal intake gasket in years....

I like to use the end gaskets, but some people don't and just throw RTV on there.

I prefer to use the end gaskets, sometimes it's a little harder to get the first few bolts started, but once you do and get them where it pulls the intake back into place, the rest go in better.

...............on the front and rear rail there is a locating pin for the end gaskets......r the still there, if so is there a hole in the intake rails for the pin to fit?....if not u need to pull the pins out................if u need to put any kind of sealer around the water ports u have a major problem that needs to be corrected.........kim......

I didn't recommend using the metal gaskets, I just recommended gaskacinch. I use it on the composite gaskets and cork gaskets.

I haven't used a metal intake gasket in years....

Never said you did. I was simply saying that if he did use metal gaskets on an aluminum intake, no amount of snot in the world would make it seal.

Never said you did. I was simply saying that if he did use metal gaskets on an aluminum intake, no amount of snot in the world would make it seal.

Oh, sorry I mis-interpreted your post.

I agree not to use a metal gasket on an aluminum intake. I like the "composite" gaskets for my intakes.

-
Back