New Issue- slight hesitation only on left turns

-

Mako21

Reaction score
Daily driven 1976 slant six with Holley 1945. New issue just started and it must be something in the carb?

Only on left turns when I make a hard left turn inducing body roll (stock suspension and Monroe shocks) the engine sputters and conks, never shuts off but hesitates and once I straighten out she purrs fine. Normal left turns are no issues. It’s only when I really dig into a left and get body roll. It’s like she just stops running and is about to stall out.

Right turns at any speed are ok.

Checked the carb real quick and it looks fine, anyone experience this? Very strange to me.

Any chance the wiring in the engine compartment shifts to the right on hard lefts and shorts momentarily

What you have there is a genuine Nascar mopar. It will only run good when turning left.

Most likely carb float/fuel level:
- too high, fuel sloshes into carb throat
- too low, fuel uncovers the jet on L turns.

yeah agreed ...

is it a standard carb and is it facing the right way....?

a carb with its float bowl cantilevered off from the main bore of the carb i.e most of em

should have the float bowl in line with the direction of travel and as close to centreline of car as is possible. The orientation, is dependent on design of bowl and float, and dicates if the bowl is facing forward or back.
Any cornering means float is more submerged on one side and less submerged on the other. but its mounted on a parralel hinge that is transverse across the car, so average submersion across the deep and shallow fuel in the bowl keeps the float about same height.

it will droop or raise on brakeing or acceleration so the fore or aft direction of the bowl will have been chosen carefully by the manufatuerer to make for minimal impact

if its on sideways due to an adapter, or was designed for a different job, the bowl could be facing the inner wing on one side or the other. i.e use of a carb designed for a transverse FWD engine on a motor like ours.

The rock of the motor will have more impact. if it was a four cylinder the fuel would foam not so much on a 6 which has better balance by design

Similar impact will be felt in corners
one way float will droop massively causing too high fuel level in bowl
the other way it is pinned to the roof with the needle valve closed and the bowl begines to run low.

but assuming its a carb and manifold that was originally designed to be on this motor
float level setting or flapping auto choke would be my guess

Dave

Thank you all for your great input. It’s definitely the carb, thankfully not a nuisance electrical connection/issue.

I just drove to work and it did the same stall/hesitation during left turning only, no on right turns. Once parked and exiting the car smelled some fuel smell permiating around the front of the car. Opened the hood and the driver side carb base to intake gasket is soaked in raw fuel.

I just rebuilt this carb holley 1945 three months ago. Wasn’t having any issue with it till now. The only thing I changed is I went to brass floats instead of the supplied neoprene floats. I’ll swap them out and hope that’s the issue.

Thank you.

If your float swap to brass floats has resulted in the flooding issue, make sure your oil did not become diluted with fuel. How is your fuel filter? Is it a see through design? Could you have some dirt that eventually made it's way to the needle and seat? Why did you switch to the (non-NASCAR lol) brass floats? Did you have a high level with the neoprene floats?

Last edited:
I have a NOS fuel filter, Mopar, non see through.

I will check the oil to see if it smells like fuel or has increased level.

It was my first time rebuilding a carb, and my research led me to believe the brass floats are better, so
I purchased them and installed in place of the neoprene floats. I do have the other neoprene floats which were originally supplied with the Sorensen rebuild kit. I will swap them out and take a look for other anomalies.

I just installed them and set/bent them upside down till flush with a ruler. I didn’t have any problems with it till now…maybe there’s some debris stuck in the needle.

-
Back