New lifters on a used cam

-

Mike 340

Reaction score
Do you need to do a break in with new lifters on a used cam?
2000-2500 rpm for 15-20 minutes?
Mike

Mike

Every time you change one or the other.:D
It's a little risky using broke in lifters on a different cam or vise versa, but a lot of people get away with it.
I did it on the Wifes stock 318 but it was new lifters with a used cam.

Mike

Yes sir. Just like a new cam and lifter set. ...and what you're doing is perfectly acceptable. Make sure you have plenty of ZDDP if it is a flat tappet.

Thank you for the quick responses, and it is a flat tappet cam.
I am glad that I asked as I thought it was the cam that had to be broken in, but it makes sense that this a matched set up.
Thank you again!
Mike.

cam laps in lifters and keeps them turning due to their very slight crowned (convex) face. Used lifters are often concave and wont spin properly on a foreign cam that that will lead to lobe failure. One or both need to be new.

New lifters, old cam is the old standard 'OK'. Been done that way for a looong time.

I am not sure if the break-in needs to be followed; work hardening the cam surface is what I understood to be going on. But why take a chance? And if you are using stock springs and lift, with the lower lifter-to-lobe pressure, it probably will be OK, but again why chance it?

The way I always understood it was
New cam, New lifters
Old cam, New lifters
but never New cam, Old lifters.
Is this still the conventional thinking?

Back in my dealer shop days we installed hundreds of new lifters on old cams under warranty... never had to worry about a break-in time because those stock springs didn't have much pressure and the customer would never pay attention anyway.

I remember when the dealers always told a new car customer never to drive over 60 mph for the first 100 miles... old school way of breaking in a new car. That didn't take into account the new car set-up guy (me!) going 120 mph on the 'test drive'! I broke in hundreds of Hemi's, 383's, 340's, six-packs, etc that way...

The way I always understood it was
New cam, New lifters
Old cam, New lifters
but never New cam, Old lifters.
Is this still the conventional thinking?
It is not just conventional... it is true. Had friend put a new cam in without new lifters before he know.... lasted about 20-30 miles. Hard way to learn.

Back in my dealer shop days we installed hundreds of new lifters on old cams under warranty... never had to worry about a break-in time because those stock springs didn't have much pressure and the customer would never pay attention anyway.

I remember when the dealers always told a new car customer never to drive over 60 mph for the first 100 miles... old school way of breaking in a new car. That didn't take into account the new car set-up guy (me!) going 120 mph on the 'test drive'! I broke in hundreds of Hemi's, 383's, 340's, six-packs, etc that way...

The shipping tunnel guys at JNAP showed us how good of burnouts the old Grand Cherokees with the 4.0 L 5 speeds could do.... Right out of the factory.... :usflag:

That's a great story! Best job EVER!

Two test drives stand out in my mind...

I worked for Dodge City in Milwaukee from early '69 until late '70 after finishing GM Trade School...yes THAT GM. I did A/C full time and front end work Wednesday nights. We put every car on the front end rack to check the factory's work... then we test drove it.

I had a Six Pack Super Bee on the rack one night and took it out on the freeway for a test drive...threee miles north and back. I had the hammer down in the left lane on my way back... pulled into my spot in the shop and was diddling around with something when the 'Boss' came over to me and casually mentioned that when I'm test driving at 120 mph it might be best to look for our dealer plates on the cars we pass... he was in a car with a customer when I blew by them...oops!

I was working at Holz Motors in Hales Corners doing new car set-up. My two stalls were right near the back or the shop and one day I spotted the car hauler coming into the back lot to unload. I saw a dark green Camaro with white racing stripes and knew it had to be one of the new Z-28's that were going on sale soon.

After that load of cars was checked in a salesman gave me the keys and told be to do that green Camaro first... the customer was coming in to take delivery today.

I did the set-up and while I was finishing my buddy from across the aisle came over to look at the car. I was all excited about that little 302 but he just laughed... he challenged me to race. He was just finsihing up a clutch job on a '66 SS 396-360 horse Chevelle.

We left the shop a few minutes apart and went to the county road where we did our 'road tests' which was about 1/4 mile from the shop. He beat me after 80 mph and we both went back laughing and grinning... I found the salesman and his customer waiting for me to get back. They both heard the tire squealing and the RPM's from both cars... this turned out to be the FIRST Z--28 off the truck in WI and the guy was going to haul it home on a trailer and keep it for an investment. HE wanted to be the only guy to drive it if he ever drove it!

Needless to say I never got near another fast 4 speed car again... it was back to four door Biscaynes and six cylinder pick-ups for me from then on...

Last edited:
-
Back