New Melling m72 Oil pump plug installed wrong?

-

cawcislo

Reaction score
Was just looking over my new Melling m72hv oil pump and noticed the pressure spring plug looks to be installed backwards? My regular Melling pumps and my old high volume pump the plug is installed the other way? Covid quality control?

56BEB04C-2A79-4A55-8B3F-A759C61E90A4.jpeg

B440189D-FCE2-4D5B-9CFC-8583CB2BE39E.jpeg

Checked the rock auto page and their images shows the plug installed the other way. Guess I’ll be sending it back.

503A0EA0-9B8C-4609-9497-39C41F7E6AB0.png

Was just looking over my new Melling m72hv oil pump and noticed the pressure spring plug looks to be installed backwards? My regular Melling pumps and my old high volume pump the plug is installed the other way? Covid quality control?

View attachment 1715566882

View attachment 1715566883
Why would it be in there any other way? Have assembled freeze plugs or oil galley plugs before? They’re in the the same way.

Jake

there was a batch back in the 90's with the plug in backwards , i had one it had 100 psi at idle and when i would rev it up it would balloon the filters . there are other threads on here about this same problem . But i can't remember which way is right .

PLEASE do NOT go by photos you find on parts websites. They are "representative" photos

Drill a hole in plug, sheet metal screw and vice-grip.
Braze hole, install correctly, (not the way it came) .

Solve the whole problem. Put a big block in it. Their relief valve is retained by a screw in plug. Simple stuff.

I get it, but that photo from rock auto is actually correct/accurate and shows the proper way the plug should be installed and the way it is installed on three other Melling oil pumps I have kicking around.

-
Back