New Member, New to Mopar, New to Classic Cars and just bought a 1972 Duster

-

MattP

Reaction score
I've been holding off on making my intro thread until I had better pictures of the car, but I need a quick break at work and FABO is a good solution.

I recently sold my last project and have been looking around for something to fill the slot in the garage. This 1972 Duster came across craigslist for the right price and it ended up coming home with me.

Specs:

318 2bbl Engine mileage is unknown, but the coating applied to the engine bay leads me to believe it's been out and how quickly it starts "bump of the starter" makes me think it's been freshened up at some point.

727 trans with Column Shifter
8 3/4 rear end
Disc Brakes

The floors and trunk have been coated with something that is smooth but looks like truck bed liner. The engine bay has a more true truck bed liner roughness to it. I have yet to find significant rust. There is some oxidation under the rocker panels and the minimal spots here and there that I expected to find on a car this old.

Whoever painted the car did a junk job of prep. It's a solid 20 footer though.

The old guy I bought it from used it for cruising to car shows and it had the full compliment of car show accessories including fender chrome, neons, a strobe light, and led light bars hot glued to the grill. He let it sit for a while though and when I picked it up it would barely run well enough to load on the trailer. A tank of non ethanol gas and a little Marvel Mystery Oil and it runs and drives just fine. Now the main problem is the carb seems to need a rebuild. The accelerator pump doesn't seem to be doing its job anymore.

Anyway, enough of the rambling. Here are the pictures.

The only pic provided in the ad.
IMG_2527.jpg

Picking it up.
IMG_2565.jpg

Exterior.
IMG_2549.jpg

After removing fender stick ons
IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

Engine Bay
IMG_2556.jpg

Interior

The Tweety Bird floor mats and steering wheel cover have gone the way of the neons and have been replaced with black carpet mats that match the carpet that's going in.
IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

Pile of neons and stuff removed from the car last night.
IMG_2606.jpg

I bought this car to have something to tinker with. My wife says I get unsettled and pick up 15 hobbies if I don't have a car to play with. So here is the planned mod list.

First things first. It's a factory Ac car and I live in South Louisiana. Ac is going to be blowing cold ASAP.

After that and the full fluid change I'll be looking at putting my stock Mustang wheels on it from my last project. the bolt pattern will work but the rotor hub is too big. After searching on FABO I'm going to contact my machinist buddy and have him mill the rotors.

Somewhere in there it's going to receive seat belts. One of the PO's removed them. I'll install the carpet, put in a floor shifter, rock the bench seat back a bit to make it more comfortable for me, and install the belts at the same time.

Long term plans once the little stuff is taken care of ~ 6-12 months include a Master Power T70. Nothing radical just a fun to drive 12 second car.

Well, there it is. From reading FABO I think the lack of rust and the inclusion of the 8 3/4, 727, and disc make this a solid car to spend a few years with.

Started off as a near stock 2003 Gt. Ended up twin turbo, built auto making 770 to the wheels on 24lbs boost. Kept all the factory compliments, ac, power steering, full interior. Pretty much built as a heavy street racer, but I moved on from that scene and didn't have a use for such a built car anymore.

985c856b.jpg

e5590f92.jpg

bba8bb51.jpg

Welcome to FABO Matt! Great pics, especially the one with the 'old guy,' you two look like you could be related.

Welcome to FABO Matt! Great pics, especially the one with the 'old guy,' you two look like you could be related.

lol didn't mean anything by "old guy". :D

Similar seats as in my dart.

Where does the seatbelt buckle go?

no clue. I'll figure it out once the seat is out.

Welcome to the FABO family!!!!

I've been searching the site for a few days now and you guys have a pile of tech here. Lot's of info to get me going in the right direction. I think between here and theturboforums I have a new online hangout.

Welcome aboard! Your Duster looks really nice and definelty looks allot better without all that Pep Boys/Autozone crap on it.

John

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm looking forward to being part of such a friendly community.

RPM air gap intake and a 650ish cfm 4 bbl carb would wake this puppy up!

I've been on the fence about if I should go with the air gap or just the standard issue performer. Stock 318 tells me the performer would be better since it'll give a little more grunt off the line, but plans of boost say the air gap might be the better option. This car will be a pure street car. The most action it'll see is red light to red light. Other than that just a fun car to cruise around in...

Also been on the fence about the carb. When the turbo goes on I'll likely go with a blow through setup. Just trying to decide if I want to stick with the 2bbl for now and make the big jump all at once, or toss on a good 4b bbl now and just sell it off when the blow through setup goes on.

A good intake and 4bbl carb are looking good right now to add a little pep while I get the appearance and safety stuff out of the way.

Question...did it originally have a vinyl cap?

I think so. It has the chrome trim on the 1/4 that would have been there for the vinyl top. I was going to remove it, but whoever painted the car didn't remove it when they painted so it's on there until I get around to repainting it.

Daytime pics. New wheels, stance, and a detail to come.

I took the scoop off so the hood could be polished. Not sure if it's going back on.

B9A7656B-2575-43CC-B599-EBC663898431-2100-00000337845FB104_zps8523f347.jpg

7F45608D-2F8A-4B5E-BC13-1A051C5DA290-2100-0000033779D72F8F_zps1d4cc16d.jpg

Well, the car has been receiving some much needed paint restoration over the last few days. From 20' it looked decent, but up close it looked like someone had been rubbing it with steel wool. Plus the quality of the paint job wasn't that great with runs in the clear, over spray, and other major imperfections. I'd rather not shell out the $$$ for a repaint right now and direct those funds towards other items in the build so I dropped it off with Andrew at Hi Performance Detail here in Baton Rouge to see what he could do with it.

I'm pretty excited to see how it came out. When I dropped it off he did a test spot on the trunk lid and just compounded one area. It looked like someone had rubbed a bar of soap over the before area. I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.

Lot's of pics of the process will be added later.

Removed the grill yesterday and started the restoration process.

The grill had a few cracks and one of the fins was broken as you can see in the earlier pics. I opened up the cracks with a dremel last night and will be filling and sanding tonight. Primer and paint will come after that and then back on the car.

I could have just painted the grill since the cracks weren't that big, but since I had it out I wanted to go ahead and fix everything I could. Can I tell you there was a moment of hesitation with the cutting tool in hand before I opened up that first hairline crack. . . No going back.

Finished all the prep last night.

It wasn't too bad. First I sprayed the grill down with simple green and used a soft bristle brush to loosen all the dirt before spraying it down with the hose.

Then I opened up all the cracks with a dremel and used a wet paper towel to wipe away all the dust around the cracks.

SEM makes a good plastic repair product so I used that. It's a 2 part product that works like JB Weld, just for plastic.

After the filler dried I sanded it down smooth.

For the missing fin I sourced a plastic desk junk holder. First I sanded the edge of the break smooth so the add in piece would have a nice surface to bond to, then cut the plastic to fit snug.

I used a 2 part plastic superglue I found at Home Depot and after that set I filled the transition area with the SEM filler. Once it dried I sanded the area and you can't tell it's a repair. :)

It's now ready for primer and paint. I picked up SEM products for that as well. I put more pics up when paint goes on.

For anybody interested the plan is to use satin black on the grill & headlight buckets, but keep the chrome surround shiny. I like that look better than the silver around the headlights.

These pics are about 3/4 of the way finished. More sanding was needed to smooth the patched areas and the pic of the fin repair is the first time I did it. I ended up removing that piece and redoing it since it wasn't as flush as I wanted it to be. The paint pics will show the latest fin repair.

BE41CFE1-D907-4B60-9E4C-3BF38436F400-4875-000006C9F050888B.jpg

0688803A-4B95-4F12-AFF8-BC7C1DEF9B07-4875-000006C9FE2052CF.jpg

D288BD33-4146-48BC-B249-B8D3EAAF3FCF-4875-000006CA101450C6.jpg

C933A110-04E7-4CAE-9DBC-A0BC43A9855D-4875-000006CA1CBB0538.jpg

3975286B-0910-4E35-B50E-55B74B1DC4AA-4875-000006CA2FFFCA6F.jpg

-
Back