New roller cam...

-
well im running this cam Big Mutha' Thumpr 243/257 Hydraulic Flat Cam for Chrysler 383-440
and i know there's not a lot of good things said about it but i already bought it before i read any bad reviews on it. but my point is my car is already dialed for this cam with a 2600 stall converter and my guides are cut for the lift of that cam .507int. so with that said im kinda stuck looking for a cam with a low lift aggressive cam. do you have any opinions on other cams that would be good for my setup?
Have the cam lobes been damaged?

Here is a Rockwell C test of lifters from Crower. Information supplied by Crower:

-66900, 66971, 66915, 66945................. 55-59 RC
-66975, 66973, 66974, 66970.....................64-65 RC.
I know which ones I would rather have in my engine.....

Here is a Rockwell C test of lifters from Crower. Information supplied by Crower:

-66900, 66971, 66915, 66945................. 55-59 RC
-66975, 66973, 66974, 66970.....................64-65 RC.
I know which ones I would rather have in my engine.....

Those are all Crower part numbers. Who is supplying the lifters to Crower? Does Crower spec their lifters differently than anyone else? How old are the tests?

Yeah ive done a lot of reading now and i realize a roller setup has a lot more to it than just some lifters and a cam. But if i were to take and buy the same cam and lifters IF EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKS GOOD and i went to go break it in, what do i do differently to ensure it doesn't have the same fate? I also realized that although my cam kit came with single springs with dampers i should NOT have used them as they were too high of spring pressure. Im not sure what lbs they are but what spring would you recommend for cam break in with stock style heads?
I don't know where you got that info. Single springs are fine for break in, even with dampers. The springs depend on the lift and lift rate of the cam. Most hydraulic cams under .500 lift will be happy with the Comp 901 spring. I generally use whatever the camshaft manufacturer says for springs. I don't know what you could have done differently. That's a tough one. What did you coat the camshaft with?

well im running this cam Big Mutha' Thumpr 243/257 Hydraulic Flat Cam for Chrysler 383-440
and i know there's not a lot of good things said about it but i already bought it before i read any bad reviews on it. but my point is my car is already dialed for this cam with a 2600 stall converter and my guides are cut for the lift of that cam .507int. so with that said im kinda stuck looking for a cam with a low lift aggressive cam. do you have any opinions on other cams that would be good for my setup?
Those cams are fine. They make plenty of power and sound good too. If you're after a nasty idle, it's a win win. Plenty of cars run them and race them and are plenty quick and fast. If I just HAD to go hydraulic flat tappet, I would look for some older NOS Isky, Crower, TRW or Melling lifters. Having old lifters refaced is fine, but what do you do about the worn plungers and inside bores and return springs? Internally, it's still an old lifter.

id disagree and say if switching to a roller would solve my cam issue it would be a lot cheaper than risking having to rebuild the whole engine again with the flat tappet failing. any tips on keeping the flat tappet alive? yes i did all the break in procedures on comp cams website as they say to do.
If you could afford to go to a roller set up even if it slows down your build you should, or go buy flat tappet cam and lifters multiple times from failure lol. Same price, buy the better and just cry once.

-
Back