New Spray Paint Cans That Stop Spraying After The First Squirt?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
My blessed new Rust-Oleum can of white clean metal primer gave up when I pressed the nozzle button for the second time. The can was 99.9% still full and nothing would come out. Shook and shook and banged it on a piece of plywood. Swapped in a another nozzle of the same type from another Rust-Oleum spray can--nothing. Took the nozzle back off and stuck a plastic broom fiber down the tube, it only when inside about a centimeter and stopped. Gave up after that and decided to buy another can at "Hope Depot", then return this can the next day with the receipt for an exchange/refund. By the way, this is the newer type of presentation that is advertised as being able to spray in any position.

In the meantime, I decided to set the can upright in the morning "Baja California Sur" sunshine. An hour or two later, I got curious, picked up the can, pressed the button, and the white paint sprayed out just fine. I hope this little trick works in the future!

Last edited:
It was stored in the concrete shell of the home we are building, lows have been around 55 degrees, highs about 80. Are you suggesting I should sleep with it (LOL)?

should be fine ?
Sometimes if they get cold enough the chemicals dont mix and its done.
Do you have another tip to try , to see if thats the problem ?

Used one of these goofy looking cans earlier today in 45-48° weather on both sides of a tin sump pump cover. Can was about 70° and sprayed decent. Just a little drool needed to be wiped off the nozzle end. More better than holding nozzle on the top down with a finger for me.

upload_2018-3-10_15-58-21.png

I have had that problem a few times.
Only able to get those to spray if I held the can upside down.
If I cleared it and held it upright nada. Only spray upside down.

Seen a guy on u-tube put air in spray cans that gave up like that from a compressor, it worked but I don't know if I would try it.

Jeff

I always heat the cans to around 75°-90°F. They almost never give me any trouble. Warm paint sprays out a lot nicer too.

I have an old coffee brewer that I use to warm spray cans. I set a timer so I don`t forget & blow it up.

I've had bad luck with Rustoleum's spray cans for the past few years... I don't have a solution. For everything other than Rusty metal Primer, I buy other brands.

I keep the cans in the house for a few days before I need them, solved that problem.

Alan

Put it in some hot water...... Takes spray paint cans to a whole new level in cooler temps. It almost always fixes this issue for me....

JW

Used one of these goofy looking cans earlier today in 45-48° weather on both sides of a tin sump pump cover. Can was about 70° and sprayed decent. Just a little drool needed to be wiped off the nozzle end. More better than holding nozzle on the top down with a finger for me.

View attachment 1715151526
I bought one of those things. It leaked more paint on my hand than it applied. I wont buy another. Fancy Newfangled Crap is what it is.

Put it in some hot water...... Takes spray paint cans to a whole new level in cooler temps. It almost always fixes this issue for me....

JW

Agreed. It makes for a finer mist too! I started doing this after reading it online somewhere.

Agreed. It makes for a finer mist too! I started doing this after reading it online somewhere.

Been doing this since painting model cars as a kid lol..... Another trick I found to making paint stick and look better out of a can if you are painting metal is heat it up enough to make the moisture evaporate.

JW

Sometimes I use a hair dryer to blow dry parts rather than an air hose (since I moved and left the compressor behind).

Always best to keep the cans warm and shake for 60 seconds or more before use.

IMG_0667.GIF

Cold paint or metal ain't gonna work well. I have put a lot of cans in the sun to warm up. As for the newer 'any angle'cans. They are great when they work. ... I have had a couple that dripped all over. Don't recall any clogged from brand new, but you cant flip them over and clear the nozzle. Have had a few that were no-go for re-use. I sometimes pull the nozzle and use compressed air to clear it after use.

Cold paint or metal ain't gonna work well. I have put a lot of cans in the sun to warm up. As for the newer 'any angle'cans. They are great when they work. ... I have had a couple that dripped all over. Don't recall any clogged from brand new, but you cant flip them over and clear the nozzle. Have had a few that were no-go for re-use. I sometimes pull the nozzle and use compressed air to clear it after use.

Good to know. I've never tried the any angle ones.

When the can I mentioned in post #1 locked up, it was putting out nothing--no way to have cleared it spraying upside down or not, it just quit completed like someone had turned the water faucet off tightly. And why it started working again after having been in the sun is still a mystery, I wonder sometimes what is going on inside those cans (and closed bedroom doors, for that matter).

-
Back