New to Mopar but dad was Mopar 4ever

-

chryslerfat

Reaction score
I am just switching to Mopar although my dad was Mopar from day 1. I have a 66 Barracuda that is like the one he had when I was a kid. I am putting it together to take him cruising Woodward next year. It has a 65 273 2bbl and I have learned that the intake and heads are different from 66 up. I do have a question that is can or will 66up heads and intake fit properly on the 65 block. I have the intake and dual point dist. from his 66 Commando and was wondering if I got heads could I use them. Thanks guys. I will also add that the 2bbl is not short on power it does hold you back in the seat.

My Dad had a 65 and a 66 cuda when I was a kid. I had a spare ignition and used to unplug the wiring from under the dash and hook up the spare ignition. We would go out cruising and shredding his tires on the odd night they were out. My brother ratted me out last year, some twenty odd years later and he was still mad. That little 273 commando got me hooked on muscle cars.

Welcome.

It has a 65 273 2bbl and I have learned that the intake and heads are different from 66 up. I do have a question that is can or will 66up heads and intake fit properly on the 65 block. I have the intake and dual point dist. from his 66 Commando and was wondering if I got heads could I use them. Thanks guys. I will also add that the 2bbl is not short on power it does hold you back in the seat.

The short answer is "Yes". The only real difference between '64/'65 and '66/later heads and intake is the bolt angle and size. If you use the heads AND intake from the same era, there is no problem. The hassle comes when you try and "mix & match" between them. Your later heads/intake should bolt on and function with no problems. The distributors are the same year-to-year. You can use the early heads with the late manifold ( and vice-versa) by "wallering out" the intake holes and using the correct size bolts for the heads.

BTW, welcome to the dark (Mopar) side!...and from what other make have you converted?

Cheers...

Welcome to the site! Got any pictires? Here is my dad's 66 Cuda, his first car and still has it!

Picture 824.jpg

Thanks for the helpfull info. I am switching from the cookie cutters of Chevorlet. I also have a 41 Chrysler 3 window coupe that we are building with a 440 powertrain.

Welcome to the site! Got any pictires? Here is my dad's 66 Cuda, his first car and still has it!

No pics on computer yet. That is a sweet looking car. Dads was a gold 4 speed with gold interior. The one I found is beige with black interior. He wants it red so that is what it will be. I just got done with a total steering rebuild. Its a 273 2bbl 904 auto with console and a 7 1/4 factory sure-grip.

My dad's is Citron Gold with Citron Gold interior, Commando 273 and a 4-speed. Do you have any original pictures of your dad's car?

1966_Olive_273_S_Barracuda_interior.sized.jpg

My dad's is Citron Gold with Citron Gold interior, Commando 273 and a 4-speed. Do you have any original pictures of your dad's car?

Im going to ask mom if she can find some I do recall seeing the pics years ago. That pic really takes me back in time when I laid in the back and watched the world go by through a bubble window.

Im going to ask mom if she can find some I do recall seeing the pics years ago. That pic really takes me back in time when I laid in the back and watched the world go by through a bubble window.

Here is one of the bubble for ya! I remember playing with my toy cars under this big rear window when I was a little kid.

Picture 880.jpg

Here is one of the bubble for ya! I remember playing with my toy cars under this big rear window when I was a little kid.

Well mom says she will try to find some pics for me to scan of dads 66. Maybee this weekend I will pull mine from the garage and get some pics to put up.

welcome chryslerfat. Keep us updated on the 66 and getting it ready.
We have the best of the best here as you may already know.

Dang 66340SEDAN your dad's 66 barracuda is looking GOOood.

My 66 sedan Victoria

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 002.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 004.jpg

Ok I will try to post pics I got today. Turns out his was a 65 not a 66. These are from 1975.
dads001.jpg

dads002.jpg

dads003.jpg

dads004.jpg

dads005.jpg

dads006.jpg

dads007.jpg

And one from 1977
dads.jpg

Ha ha, cool old pics there, love seeing original pictures like that, welcome to the site, love the clothes our parents put us in back then not to mention the hair cuts!! I think everyone has pics like this in a shoe box some where, I know we do!!!Unfortunatly our pics have a '66 Impala tank in them!! Post some of you Dads car, we'd love to see.

Keith, I love you Dads car, very cool he has kept it all these years, I can never get enough pics of it!!Love the old Cudas.

Finally got out the camera and took pics. Just finished putting the column and console in. Its all original except for the floor shift conversion I put in.

cuda002.jpg

cuda001.jpg

Nice pics! Interior looks GREAT! What are your plans for body work/ paint (time frame and color)? Doesnt look like its going too take much from the pics.

I am hoping to have it painted in time to take dad to woodward. He wants it red so thats the color but I am thinking of adding black or maybee charcoal stripes. I am also considering putting some kind of stripe on the side. I may not have enough money before the cruise to do the bumpers but it will still be a proud moment for dad and I.

Sounds like a good plan, looking forward to seeing it all come together for you! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Time for an update. Mom passed unexpectedly a couple weeks ago so plans have changed. The 66 Cuda will be like dads 65. i have picked up a bellhousing, 76 360, Clutch pedals, 4 speed transmission, and an 8 3/4 rear. Just a few more parts to get at a cost of about 2 grand to 2500 but the look on dads face when we grab 2nd to take him back to happier days= priceless. Outsider has been a great help along with everyone here on what I need for the conversion. This site and the help of all is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about you mom dude. My dad passed away a couple of years ago. My '65 barracuda is kinda a tribute car to him. The first car we built together was a '65 barracuda. So I can totally relate.

sorry about mom i know how that goes but i love your cuda and im sure your pops does too kepp us posted

-
Back