New to site, new to Mopar overheating issues

-
From post #93; 'fan was wired to the field side' !!! ----- Disconnect this

From post #100; the field wire is green. It is shown cut off!!! No other wire should go to that terminal.

Hello,

First post on the site, however I've already been using all the great information. I bought a 68 Barracuda convertible a couple of weeks ago and it needs some attention. One issue is that the car is overheating, when it's 90+ here in Kansas. Based on the vin the car was an original 6 cylinder car, but along the way someone put the 340 in it. The guy I bought it from owned the car for 2 months (small time deal in everything guy) and knew nothing about the car and any work done, just "drove it cause it was cool."
So here is the cooling set up:
- Fan with a broken shroud
- Electric Fan, on the grill side, that's wired wrong, drawing power from the alternator resistor with no regulator or temp sensor. It wasn't working, I had it running but now there's no power coming from the resistor FLN side now (separate issue) where it was wired into.
- First noticed the issue when I drove it home after buy it, was running about 3/4 of the way up the temp gauge then got one mark from the H so I pulled over. I tried running the heater but that doesn't seem to help.

I was going to get the stuff to fix the electric fan, but am wondering if I just get the shroud and original setup running right it might be best. Any help would be great, thank you.

View attachment 1715566231

View attachment 1715566232

View attachment 1715566233

View attachment 1715566234

View attachment 1715566235

View attachment 1715566236

When you say it is over heating what is the actual temp? Mopars like temps anywhere from 180-195 and you will be fine. I have a 340 .030 with a host of internal goodies pushing 413 hp with a 180 thermostat and mine never goes over 190.. Also the inside of your radiator does not look good either... Good luck

When you say it is over heating what is the actual temp? Mopars like temps anywhere from 180-195 and you will be fine. I have a 340 .030 with a host of internal goodies pushing 413 hp with a 180 thermostat and mine never goes over 190.. Also the inside of your radiator does not look good either... Good luck
Agree. There is a lot of "overheating" comments where the guy is looking at a factory gauge with no numbers on it and no boil over problems. :BangHead::BangHead::lol:

-
Back