New to Slant 6

-

Bjrodney75

Husband, Father, and Disabled Combat Vet
Reaction score
Hey all!

I've built some 401s and some AMC360s in the past, but don't know much about the Slant 6. Got a carb question for you guys.
I'm going next week to look at a 72 Dart Swinger with a 225 in it and I'm wanting to wake it up a bit, but mostly keep it a stock weekend cruiser. My plan is an HEI unit, EGR delete, headers to a 2.5" strait pipe, and a bigger carb. Looking at the Edelbrock 94 series for the carb upgrade. Anyone have any familiarity with them?

Thanks!
Bill

Welcome Bill! Do us all a favor and go to the Welcome Wagon, introduce yourself, tell us about your car and post a picture or two. We love pictures around here.

As to your question. The 94 series carburetors are based on the old Holley 94 flathead Ford carburetor. I've never seen one on a slant six, but I'm sure it could be done. My only worry would be that you'll end up running out of hood clearance. They are tall carburetors, plus you're gonna have to find an adapter to adapt from "whatever" intake you have to the 3 bolt two barrel 94 flange. What I would consider would be the factory Super Six setup that includes a factory two barrel intake and Carter BBD two barrel carburetor, similar to what came on the 318. That would be much more affordable and also fit under the stock hood with no trouble.

Welcome Bill! Do us all a favor and go to the Welcome Wagon, introduce yourself, tell us about your car and post a picture or two. We love pictures around here.

As to your question. The 94 series carburetors are based on the old Holley 94 flathead Ford carburetor. I've never seen one on a slant six, but I'm sure it could be done. My only worry would be that you'll end up running out of hood clearance. They are tall carburetors, plus you're gonna have to find an adapter to adapt from "whatever" intake you have to the 3 bolt two barrel 94 flange. What I would consider would be the factory Super Six setup that includes a factory two barrel intake and Carter BBD two barrel carburetor, similar to what came on the 318. That would be much more affordable and also fit under the stock hood with no trouble.

Funny thing, I had a friend just suggest the same setup. I'm going to go do some research now.

'72 with EGR? I didn't think anything had EGR before 73. could be a newer engine and/or manifold(s) in the car. Will be an easy thing to delete, anyway.
I had the opposite. in my 85 truck, which came to me with the manifolds in the bed (and none on the engine) the intake that came with my truck was old enough to have never been drilled or machined for EGR passages or the valve. I got it back together and running decent on the original engine, but I want more.
I am building up another slant for this truck, it's in the machine shop as we speak. In the process I have a Super 6 setup here for the new engine. and I put a 3/8NPT pipe plug in the EGR passage under the one carb barrel within the manifold. a little red loctite for good measure. and a blockoff plate to replace the valve.

Hey all!

I've built some 401s and some AMC360s in the past, but don't know much about the Slant 6. Got a carb question for you guys.
I'm going next week to look at a 72 Dart Swinger with a 225 in it and I'm wanting to wake it up a bit, but mostly keep it a stock weekend cruiser. My plan is an HEI unit, EGR delete, headers to a 2.5" strait pipe, and a bigger carb. Looking at the Edelbrock 94 series for the carb upgrade. Anyone have any familiarity with them?

Thanks!
Bill
I'm running a Davis Unified Ign or DUI about $300 and its all one unit, Clifford intake and headers with a 38mm weber carb and 2.5 inch exhaust with a 14 inch flow master muffler. One thing if you have power steering the Clifford header will not clear the top of the steering box. I also have a cam in it. The engine runs very strong.

I'm running a Davis Unified Ign or DUI about $300 and its all one unit, Clifford intake and headers with a 38mm weber carb and 2.5 inch exhaust with a 14 inch flow master muffler. One thing if you have power steering the Clifford header will not clear the top of the steering box. I also have a cam in it. The engine runs very strong.

Does that have the large cap like a lot of the DUI distributors? I was not aware there was enough room.

Ok, I assume you're talkin about this:

Dodge Slant 6 Tri-Power Distributor – Performance Distributors

go to slantsix.org and ask the question there. As an added plus Doug Durta is one of the Moderators. . He is the slant 6 Guru look him up if you are not familiar.

Does that have the large cap like a lot of the DUI distributors? I was not aware there was enough room.

Ok, I assume you're talkin about this:

Dodge Slant 6 Tri-Power Distributor – Performance Distributors
Rusty, not saying that you endorse that product but,
that has to be the most expensive way possible to get a a GM HEI ignition on a slant,, save your self a couple of hundred bucks and go to .org and search HEI.
Does not appear to have a vacuum can on it,, not the best choice, especially for the money.

Rusty, not saying that you endorse that product but,
that has to be the most expensive way possible to get a a GM HEI ignition on a slant,, save your self a couple of hundred bucks and go to .org and search HEI.
Does not appear to have a vacuum can on it,, not the best choice, especially for the money.

I don't like it either, I just wanted to make sure that's what he was talkin about.

The DUI runs a stock cap, so it is very compact. No extra wires and the coil mounts in the stock location. Just have to eliminate the ballast resistor so it gets a full 12+ volts. Check out the Slant sense article in Hotrod magazine

You mean the one they claimed to get an additional 77 HP from? lol

The DUI runs a stock cap, so it is very compact. No extra wires and the coil mounts in the stock location. Just have to eliminate the ballast resistor so it gets a full 12+ volts. Check out the Slant sense article in Hotrod magazine
All of that and only $300.00
HEI can easily be added to a slant for 100.00 or less,, get lucky at a Pull A Part and do it for about 35.00 tops.

the super 6, a well thought out cam swap, and a head shave to up the compression... as in actuality, most 225s arent even running what is "advertised" CR, I believe largely due to tolerance stack up between the head casting, the block and pistons.

-
Back