New to the Forum - 1968 Dart Post

-

RJM

Reaction score
Hello - I am new to the forum and wanted to take a quick second to introduce myself. In the past, I have primarily been focused on B-Bodies, so I have a lot to learn when it comes to A-Bodies. I have some great friends that are A-Body nuts. I have learned a lot from them and look forward to learning a lot from all of you too.

My 15 year old son and I are getting ready to build a 1968 Dart post, so that he can participate in his High School Muscle Car Club and the High School Drags (Young Guns). We are both very excited, me because I am a long time muscle car enthusiast and him because he is a teenage boy who loves cars, trucks and going fast. The best part of it will be making some fun memories together.

We are starting with a blank canvas. The Dart is a 2 door, post with a slant six, auto. It is pretty rough, so it is going to require quite a bit of work. Our goal is to build a decent looking, safe, streetable bracket car on a budget. We are thinking 360/auto with a 3:91 sure grip 8 3/4 rear end. We should have the car by the end of this month and will then start hunting for parts (large bolt pattern front disk brakes, K-member, etc.).

I have a couple questions right out of the gates for all of you (keep in mind best bang for the buck).
What is the largest 15" rear tire that will fit in the stock wheel well?
71 LA 360 vs. Magnum 360 engines?
J-heads vs. Magnum or Magnum R/T heads?
727 vs. 904 transmissions?
3:91 or lower gear ratio?

Thanks

Welcome, pic's when you get er and work in progress. As far as your questions go I'll let the SB guys do the talking.

I have a couple questions right out of the gates for all of you (keep in mind best bang for the buck).
What is the largest 15" rear tire that will fit in the stock wheel well?
71 LA 360 vs. Magnum 360 engines?
J-heads vs. Magnum or Magnum R/T heads?
727 vs. 904 transmissions?
3:91 or lower gear ratio?

Thanks

Welcome..

We have a '68 Dart GT, original had a 273 V8 - We installed a Big Block 383. The car is a Daily Driver, built originally as our son's High School car..

The widest tire/ wheel combo I could fit in my Dart with the Offset Spring hanger and rolling the inner lip on the rear fender are BG Goodrich T/A , 255/60R-15 on Cragar SS 15" X 9", with 5" backspace. .

We have a 3.91 Sure Grip. Like it OK, cannot really take it on the Freeway for long trips (anything past 25 Miles). I think that the best all around street/ highway gear would be a 3.55.

But the 3.91 sure is FUN around town...8)

The rest of your questions I cannot answer...

Cheers..!

--

Welcome to FABO,sounds like a great project! Hang in there,I'm sure you will get all your questions answered.8)

Thanks for the msg. I appreciate the tire and gear ratio feedback. Great job on your son's car. I hope ours tuns out that nice. I really like the Cragar SS wheels. My son loves orange, and wants to paint this one orange too. I am on the sb vs. bb fence. Are you glad you went bb?
Take care -

Thanks for the msg. I appreciate the tire and gear ratio feedback. Great job on your son's car. I hope ours tuns out that nice. I really like the Cragar SS wheels. My son loves orange, and wants to paint this one orange too. I am on the sb vs. bb fence. Are you glad you went bb?
Take care -

Oh, YES..!!

We originally wanted to go with a 360, but I had a friend who had a 383 (bored .060 over) from a '69 Road Runner, with all sorts of goodies ( Eddy RPM dual plane manifold, forged steel crank, KB pistons, MSD pro billet dist, Eddy 750 carb, etc..).

I got all that for a song, basically for the same cost as a 360...

Then the retrofit got intense...but it was FUN building it (the parts are readily accessible) and it really raises eyebrows and gets lotsa Attaboys ( :cheers: ) at the Muscle Car get togethers..

And it is really easy to roast the tires...again, this 383 is strictly a Streeter, and for that, it is perfect for us.

If you are interested in the BB swap, check out: bigblockdart.com/

That site was invaluable for our project...Good Tech info.

engine004-1.jpg

engine.jpg
DartGT010107003.jpg

--

Hey Rob,

Glad to see you on here. Hope to be able to help you out. :)

Welcome to F A B O . 68 Good choice. I also have a 68 2 dr post. good luck on your build.

Welcome, I love my '68 post dart. Let me know when you want the disc brakes. I have a set that I'm not going to use. Have some other odds n ends for your car also.

that looks like quite a project!!!! welcome to FABO!!! i hope you and your son make some good memories

Your town has a high school muscle car club? That has to be the coolest place on the planet!

Kool man! I'm starting to like the look of post cars!!! Haven't before, but man, they are neat!

-
Back