new tool post .

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
after 22 years I finally just had enough of shimming tools every time I change from one to another so I bought a new aloris style quick change tool post for my lathe it should be here this week . I can't believe I put up with that **** for so long being frugal has it's drawbacks .

Last edited:
after 22 years I finally just had enough of shimming tools every time I change from one to another so I bought a new aloris quick change tool post for my lathe it should be here this week . I can't believe I put up with that **** for so long being frugal has it's drawbacks .
Post a pic when you can. Machine tools are fun stuff.

I would never call myself a machinist but I do have a little South Bend, and hand an Atlas before that. Did not take me long to drum up a Chinese version of an Aloris. LOL You are right!!! screwing with a tool post takes a lot of time and "fun out"

Another thing I did along those lines is to use indexable replacement bits in HSS (not carbide) from Arthur Warner

https://www.arwarnerco.com/

Tool Kits

KIT-05-2.jpg

Last edited:
A guy I know freehand carved a heart out of a chunk of billet aluminum for his wife's Valantines day gift. He was on his Bridgeport. Of course the guy carves Billet cylinder heads for John Deere tractor pull engines.
Radar.jpg
Radar2.jpg

I would never call myself a machinist but I do have a little South Bend, and hand an Atlas before that. Did not take me long to drum up a Chinese version of an Aloris. LOL You are right!!! screwing with a tool post takes a lot of time and "fun out"

Another thing I did along those lines is to use indexable replacement bits in HSS (not carbide) from Arthur Warner

https://www.arwarnerco.com/

Tool Kits

View attachment 1715268952
Got a set of those too.
I had a need for the small tilting vise and the tool holder both on my little lathe at once , long story short, I let it feed too far and stripped something in the crossfeed. Think its in the slide itself, too dam cold , and too lazy to mess with it yet. Guess I`ll wait till I need it again!!
What do they call that ____??

Got a set of those too.
I had a need for the small tilting vise and the tool holder both on my little lathe at once , long story short, I let it feed too far and stripped something in the crossfeed. Think its in the slide itself, too dam cold , and too lazy to mess with it yet. Guess I`ll wait till I need it again!!
What do they call that ____??
Procrastination / Or stupid ?

Find some of the cheap tool holder blocks online and buy as many as you can afford. You can never have too many. Good project if you have a milling machine. I’m up to fourteen and every one has a tool in it. Need to make six more and call it good.

Find some of the cheap tool holder blocks online and buy as many as you can afford. You can never have too many. Good project if you have a milling machine. I’m up to fourteen and every one has a tool in it. Need to make six more and call it good.

what are your favorite tools for threading inside and out . I got 5 holders now but will be getting many more .

I used hand ground hss for years inside and outside. Good skill to learn. I now have a Warner 1/2” combo threader. Works nice. I don’t go fast enough to justify carbide but the those full profile tools are sexy.
Still need my hand ground bars for small internal threads.

-
Back