** NEW ** Trick Flow LA cylinder heads introduced at SEMA

-
Think outside the box... They have no idea how to solve the issue you asked about.

The issue is piston to head clearance and it being too close using the "suggested" head gasket. If you are 5'10 and want to look 6' tall you need thicker soled elevator shoes, same deal here. Move the darn head away from the block with a thicker gasket. Walla, like fricken magic it has the clearance and will work!

I like how they went with LA rockers. But sucks cause Im running a Magnum.
Is there a work around to use them on a magnum ?

Dam.....LOL.....such as simple question...that of course...everyone knew the answer....stroke..............................

I like how they went with LA rockers. But sucks cause Im running a Magnum.
Is there a work around to use them on a magnum ?
Well, you can have someone drill the block or fform d a rocker arm set up the oils through the pushrods.

Did ya look around for that?

With a thick enough head gasket to get the chamber above the pistons they would, but that may cause other issues. If you can get your piston tops cut to zero deck that is a better way to go.

I don't know jack damn it about this stuff, what works, what causes problems etc. I will say that this post isn't the only time I've heard this but again I don't know what issues they are talking about.

For the guys with stock 68-70 340's why not just buy open chamber Edelbrocks? Just have the guides and valve job checked out and run the pi$$ out of them.

For the guys with stock 68-70 340's why not just buy open chamber Edelbrocks? Just have the guides and valve job checked out and run the pi$$ out of them.
OMG! Stop making sense!

Let’s see! TF heads flow more therefore it must be better and that’s what I think I need for my stock pistons engine to run fast and make big power for low ET’s!!!

YUP! It’s the hot ticket! Just what every mild cam engine needs.

I find it amazing that it would be done and the use of a thicker head gasket answer is beyond the understanding of some of the forum members.

IF you are this person and insulted by it, perhaps what you really need to do is one of two things!

1: Have a pro build your engine

2: Read a book and get dirty on your build.

3: Put your thinking cap on when you run into issues. Don’t RUN TO THE BOARD for your answers. THINK!!!!

OMG! Stop making sense!

Let’s see! TF heads flow more therefore it must be better and that’s what I think I need for my stock pistons engine to run fast and make big power for low ET’s!!!

YUP! It’s the hot ticket! Just what every mild cam engine needs.

I find it amazing that it would be done and the use of a thicker head gasket answer is beyond the understanding of some of the forum members.

IF you are this person and insulted by it, perhaps what you really need to do is one of two things!

1: Have a pro build your engine

2: Read a book and get dirty on your build.

3: Put your thinking cap on when you run into issues. Don’t RUN TO THE BOARD for your answers. THINK!!!!

I turn to the idea for ideas and opinions AND answers. I'm just working through some ideas of what I can do with my engine and trying to learn along the way so you can slow your roll.

Unless you plan to build future engines using pistons sticking out of the deck, why buy a head that is more difficult to work with. Tougher to build a quench engine with those things.

Well, you can have someone drill the block or fform d a rocker arm set up the oils through the pushrods.

Did ya look around for that?

That would cool, if I was rebuilding the bottom end, Is there rockers for LA that oil through the push rods?

Unless you plan to build future engines using pistons sticking out of the deck, why buy a head that is more difficult to work with. Tougher to build a quench engine with those things.

I agree, but if I was a guy with a mild early 340 I'd buy the Edelbrocks before I used a thick head gasket. If I were looking down the road and went with closed chambers I'd have the pistons fly cut or buy new (lighter) pistons if it was in the budget. Another thought on the Edelbrock open chambers and planning future builds is that they can be milled if needed.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Either way you are going to spend $. I'd prefer to have a better head for later and use a thicker gasket, you gotta buy gaskets anyways. Only other ting may be a slightly longer pushrod if going with non adjustable rockers.

Flycut, balance issues, the list goes on.

As I say a bunch,

pick your parts, pay your money!

Some guys get a little to carried away with stuff they read in books (quench) and say that's the only way of going about something. I had the 340 open chambered Edelbrock heads on my 408, flat-top pistons, a deck that was never touched, and a 1008 Felpro gasket and even after the bore was shot from 3 rebuilds and in need of its fourth it ran 9.70's in my Duster and 10.08 in my Sons Duster in Summer heat at Keystone Raceway Park, Pa at 3200 pounds.

If ya got the smack to buy Trick Flow heads, ya got the smack to buy the right pistons to work with them. Jes sayin.

I turn to the idea for ideas and opinions AND answers. I'm just working through some ideas of what I can do with my engine and trying to learn along the way so you can slow your roll.
For you sir! when someone comes around and says I don’t get zero decking or why I need a thicker cylinder head gasket to use closed chambered heads on my positive deck height piston... well, I stand firm. It has been discussed here many times. To explain it in detail beyond the above description is at a point of making use of LEGO blocks and soup cans in person.

Get a book! Read read read

Just got off the phone with a guy at trick flow.
With trick flow roller springs( made by pac) that are 240/600, up to 700 gross lift, good valves, titanium retainers, valve job, cnc ported and fully assembled, they will sell for 1100 each
2200 bucks for bolt on heads seems like a great deal to me.
With zero deck flat tops and those 60cc heads should be 12.7 ish compression on my 418.
3300 pound car with a 904 i see no reason shouldnt run low tens with the 259/267 Howards roller i want to try.
Thoughts?

Yea! Loose weight! ROFLMAO!

So! Seriously speaking, from what you wrote, I’ll assume your going for a set. Do so let us know your opinion on them as. The OOTB condition as well as a pro’s point of view if you could/decide to do so.
Have you decided on a rocker arm & ratio?

I have Harland Sharps on my 360 right now. They wont allow more than a 1.500 OD spring to clear.
So thats a no go. Hard if not impossible to find such a spring for a roller cam in 1.500. Lunati used to, but not any more.
The cam i want to use is 645 gross lift with 1.5 rockers. Probably use a t&d setup.1. 5 ratio or maybe 1.55 if they make it. Havent looked into it yet. And maybe sell my Sharps off what will become my spare( current engine)
First thing is i am going to swap to a 904 behind what i have now while I wait for the heads. Want a 10 sec slip.
Car isnt going to get much lighter...lol.... want to keep the factory flat bulge hood on it, and car is all steel with factory bumpers and i weigh 315. Just finished an 8 point mild steel cage for it.

Local guy( mighty handy) who massaged my eddies, i am going to have look at the trick flows and get his thoughts( see if he can make them better) when i get them

They will work with a factory 68-71 piston, you need a thicker head gasket. Can't use the one they suggest. A .055-.060 gasket would work OK. Pretty fricken simple, no?

When do I get paid to solve these mind-boggling issues?

We run Edelbrock closed chamber heads, and the piston sits out about .022 on a 340 and i wanted the compression to be 10-1, 1 set of cometic gaskets at .066 and we are in business.

Just got off the phone with a guy at trick flow.
With trick flow roller springs( made by pac) that are 240/600, up to 700 gross lift, good valves, titanium retainers, valve job, cnc ported and fully assembled, they will sell for 1100 each
2200 bucks for bolt on heads seems like a great deal to me.
With zero deck flat tops and those 60cc heads should be 12.7 ish compression on my 418.
3300 pound car with a 904 i see no reason shouldnt run low tens with the 259/267 Howards roller i want to try.
Thoughts?

Don I see no reason it shouldn't run very deep in the 10's. My 408 was 10.8-1, solid flat Hughes cam, 727 ran 6.57 @ 3260# on pump 93, it ran 6.68-.70 in street trim.

Don I see no reason it shouldn't run very deep in the 10's. My 408 was 10.8-1, solid flat Hughes cam, 727 ran 6.57 @ 3260# on pump 93, it ran 6.68-.70 in street trim.

Cool. You have a good bit better heads than what these are, but i have a 904 and more squeeze.
Be interesting to see.
Plus, your stuff always runs way better than the average bear..... lol

Cool. You have a good bit better heads than what these are, but i have a 904 and more squeeze.
Be interesting to see.
Plus, your stuff always runs way better than the average bear..... lol

Thanks Don. The 408 had ported Edelbrocks.

For you sir! when someone comes around and says I don’t get zero decking or why I need a thicker cylinder head gasket to use closed chambered heads on my positive deck height piston... well, I stand firm. It has been discussed here many times. To explain it in detail beyond the above description is at a point of making use of LEGO blocks and soup cans in person.

Get a book! Read read read

Can there be problems with head gaskets blowing when they are considerably thicker? It makes sense to me that since there's an increased space that's not solid metal this could be an issue. I've read all the pictured books, still learning. What I don't want to do is buy a set of heads just to find out I can't get to a CR that will allow me to run pump gas etc. or have a street engine. These are new heads but what I'm hearing here is closed chamber is closed chamber, guess I'm too concerned with what the manufacturer is saying. Engine Quest said the same thing about their Magnum heads, just sayin.

IMG_3470.jpg

Last edited:
I have Harland Sharps on my 360 right now. They wont allow more than a 1.500 OD spring to clear.
So thats a no go. Hard if not impossible to find such a spring for a roller cam in 1.500. Lunati used to, but not any more.
The cam i want to use is 645 gross lift with 1.5 rockers. Probably use a t&d setup.1. 5 ratio or maybe 1.55 if they make it. Havent looked into it yet. And maybe sell my Sharps off what will become my spare( current engine)
First thing is i am going to swap to a 904 behind what i have now while I wait for the heads. Want a 10 sec slip.
Car isnt going to get much lighter...lol.... want to keep the factory flat bulge hood on it, and car is all steel with factory bumpers and i weigh 315. Just finished an 8 point mild steel cage for it.

Local guy( mighty handy) who massaged my eddies, i am going to have look at the trick flows and get his thoughts( see if he can make them better) when i get them
Oh how I hate my memory!
There is a fella here at FABO that works at Crower. Might wanna check there. Just sayin. Don’t know for sure.

If it weren’t for the To valves in my W5’s, I’d have about the cost in them. With regular SS valves, they would be close. They just weren’t able to be ported out as much as others can be. And not they don’t flow what the TF’s do but only a little better than the Edelbrock head ports out to.

-
Back