New Underdash Wire Harness Question

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I am in the process of swapping in a new engine wiring harness for Evans and an underdash harness I ordered from Year One. I have managed to match everything up pretty well including routing the necessary wires to the new fuse box for the AC/heater harness. However, one thing is stumping me. Both door jambs currently have to wire connectors but the new harness only has the male connector in the passenger side and the router connection through the connector behind the kick panel on the drivers side. The other wires appear to be routed through a relay under the dash that looks like to me from the wiring diagram in my manual is just for the buzzer.

My question is do I have to swap over the relay under the dash to tie into my new harness or can I go with the single connector setup on the new harness. It doesn’t appear to me that anything else is tied into that relay. Would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

I don't know if this helps at all but I have a 73 duster and I was just putting the under dash wiring harness back in along with my homemade wiring harness as a store-bought one is just wires with ends LOL but anyways I know on my passenger side door but it only has one wire going to it and then on the driver side it does have two? So I don't know if that helps but it sounds normal.

Sounds like a headlight warning buzzer. Are there yellow and yellow black tracer wires? Does your car have an A01 option?

I guess you understand there is a main underdash harnesss, and an add on accessory harness(s) for the option(s). If you have an A01 option you should also have two prong door switches.

The accessory harness parallels and plugs into the main harness. I have not done 69 Dart in color PDF but if you read between the lines well, this may help with the A01 option in your Dart.

Attachments

• 69 Barracuda Factory Wiring REV 3.pdf
    127.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I went out and took a picture of mine just to compare my 73 duster to maybe your 69 Barracuda I think it was? Anyways here's a picture of the driver side these two wires plug into the door switch. I see one wire is actually two wires going into one plug and one wire going into one plug.
IMG_20180318_163347.jpg

And here's the driver side it's just one wire with one connection I assume this is just some sort of completion of some kind of ground circuit?
IMG_20180318_163448.jpg

I guess you understand there is a main underdash harnesss, and an add on accessory harness(s) for the option(s). If you have an A01 option you should also have two prong door switches.

The accessory harness parallels and plugs into the main harness. I have not done 69 Dart in color PDF but if you read between the lines well, this may help with the A01 option in your Dart.

Understand your point here. I guess the question is can I just eliminate the A01 option? I don't want to really strip out the accessory harness because it is old and brittle and not adding it back removes some of the excess wire clutter. Plus if I add it onto the new harness I have to fool with the fuse box connections as well. Last question is will those two prong jamb switches still work with just the single plug? In looking at the various ones online it looks like the single connector jamb switches may actually be a different size.

The 2 post switches will work the same with only 1 wire attached. They simply provide a ground on the yellow wire so the interior courtesy light comes on. That other wire provided a ground to a courtesy lamp delay timer that would keep the interior lit after the door is closed. Either a time period or until the ignition switch rotated to on position canceling the delay. It's a nice option for ladies seeking keys in their purse/piece of luggage but,,, These delay timers would die in their closed position. Walk away from the vehicle and interior light never goes off, battery drains. New delay timer simply plugs in like a oversized flasher. So... retain this optional equipment or delete it? Your choice

The 2 post switches will work the same with only 1 wire attached. They simply provide a ground on the yellow wire so the interior courtesy light comes on. That other wire provided a ground to a courtesy lamp delay timer that would keep the interior lit after the door is closed. Either a time period or until the ignition switch rotated to on position canceling the delay. It's a nice option for ladies seeking keys in their purse/piece of luggage but,,, These delay timers would die in their closed position. Walk away from the vehicle and interior light never goes off, battery drains. New delay timer simply plugs in like a oversized flasher. So... retain this optional equipment or delete it? Your choice

Good to know. Think I will just eliminate the buzzer relay and all the extra bundled wiring under the dash. That will eliminate a little bit of clutter and save me the hassle of doing a little extra wiring on the fuse box. Thanks.

As Redfish eluded you can eliminate that accessory harness. You loose the delay timed ignition lamp, map, and headlight buzzer at a minimum, but yes it clears some clutter and the base harness is really all that is required.

-
Back