New use for buffer

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Repairing scratched CD's! Put a little red on the wheel and roll it for about 20 seconds under the buff. Works great! My boy used to play Shuffleboard with them when he was 2 on our wood floor.....Doh!

20201023_142101.jpg
20201023_142454.jpg

I even save a Milli Vanilli! It was a gag gift to my roommate and I ended up with it when we moved out. I missed those fingerprints.

Very clever. Did that improve the playability? I buy a lot of used CD's and find the scratches can be misleading if they will play without skipping or getting the hiccups. Ugly ones can play fine, good looking ones can be a mess. This might be a game changer!

Playability is exponentially better, most did not even register in the player before I buffed them. This one didn't even skip after I fixed it. If the FRONT of the CD does not have scratches that allow light through, then you got a great chance you can get it back 100%. The CD's are encoded from the spindle out opposite an LP so so if you got some deep gouges or backing missing from the edges you still have a chance. You can tell where the info stops by the change in reflection, as seen on this repaired CD. Its about 50% 'full'. You can use buffing compound on the wheel too or even a little chrome polish.

LOL!!! Too bad you and I likely will never meet. You sure have all kinds of ideas

Be interesting to know if the sound quality diminishes?
most CD players only output a portion of the actual sound data on a CD. CDs also have redundant data sets. you can put a piece of 1/4" wide tape on the surface radially without causing it to skip.
the best thing to do is to rip the CD onto a better storage media like a hard drive and not worry about the state of the CD

-
Back