New York City horn????

-

sconut1

Reaction score
Any born and raised New Yorkers here? I was troubleshooting a horn issue with my '74 Valiant, and came across in the Wiring Diagrams, reference to something called a New York City Horn.

Anyone know what the heck the difference would be between this, and a regular car horn?

-- a New York City Horn. -- Anyone know what the heck the difference would be between this, and a regular car horn? --
-- They are inconsiderate of anyone who is unfamiliar with NYC streets, and they blow a lot. -- :D --

Any born and raised New Yorkers here? I was troubleshooting a horn issue with my '74 Valiant, and came across in the Wiring Diagrams, reference to something called a New York City Horn.

Anyone know what the heck the difference would be between this, and a regular car horn?
I grew up there instead of bee beep they go FU FU!

i think they are a tad quieter,,,to comply with nyc noise ordinance,,,i know big trucks have a city horn which is much quieter,,,

Interesting I have been grabbing horns and restoring them lately for car money really want to know the difference, I have seen cars with one horn and the pigtail for the other, Have to ask @Alaskan_TA about them he would know.

Last edited:

I know exactly what you mean....I lived in East Meadow, Long Island all my life. When I worked at JFK airport, I bought a nicely optioned 1974 Dodge Dart Custom from a fellow worker. It had a toggle switch (just like the map light toggle on my current 73 Dart Swinger that was included with the AO1 light option) just to the left of the steering column under the dash that said "city horn/country horn" the horn sound from the "city horn" was higher pitched to be heard above the din of the city noises and when you switched it to "country horn" it sounded lower to be heard at longer distances. Hope that helps....brings back great memories of that car...had a 225 in her...just like my first car, a 1965 Dodge Coronet 440...she ran like a top!!!!!

Cool thanks form a old fellow longislander (valley stream)

Cool thanks form a old fellow longislander (valley stream)
My mom's parents lived at (I was real young..I believe) on the corner at 124 Broadway (a beautiful stone house) in VS when they moved down to the Island from Argentia, Newfoundland when WWll was on the horizon. My uncle lived on Fir Street... a couple streets from the LIRR track that ran parallel to Sunrise Highway. Also wanted to say thanks to you as you are always willing to help out fellow FABO'ers with parts and /or advice....that's what makes FABO a great site:thumbsup:

I think I know the house VS was my turf!
I remember running around on the front lawn when we would visit my mom's parents when I was about 3...born in 53'. My cousins on Fir Street were the O'Reillys (Danny, Mike, Nancy, Phillip and Timmy)...Long Island was a great place back then. .My wife's fathers mother owned the farm that later became Curtiss Airport and would later be developed into Green Acres Mall....small world!!! My Dad grew up in Laurelton and he told me he and the guys would ride their bikes over to the airport and sit in the grass by the runway and watch the biplanes land and take off...he was born in 1924. Take care, Greg
Happy Moparing:usflag:

I gotta compile a list of you
"EX - New Yorkers"

Wow....who knew? Thanks for clearing up that little bit of trivia. 318MoparGuy....that was great..... I saw reference to the City/Country setting in the Service Manual, so that answers that question too. Jack68gts...appreciate the link to the Hamtramck registry page. Also explained the horn well and that TSB page will likely come in handy one day.

Long Island

Made via parts from Brooklyn's East New York area, born in Jamaica hospital, South Ozone Park for a short stint. Move to grow up in Nassau, now I'm on the border of civilization and farm land. Any further and I might as well just move to "The End!" And start fishing! Cause I ain't farming!

Long Island

Made via parts from Brooklyn's East New York area, born in Jamaica hospital, South Ozone Park for a short stint. Move to grow up in Nassau, now I'm on the border of civilization and farm land. Any further and I might as well just move to "The End!" And start fishing! Cause I ain't farming!

Ok...did you ever go to NY National Speedway in Center Moriches when you were real young? It was a great place, starting in the summer of 1967 my buddies and I would get dropped off and have a blast the entire day there....way before the "corporate" drag racing we have today. In 68/69 I used to hang out at the Sox & Martin pit and watch Jake King change the oil and service "Lil Boss" between rounds... you could get up real close back then and enjoy the sights. Those were the days....
All the Best,
Greg

I did drag out in that area but I don't remember the strips name. I don't think it was National. East Hampton IIRC.
(I'm a baby @ 50 years old.)
Some of my older co-workers ran there.

I haven't been "Out on the tiles" in a decade. Mostly with the back street runners at various industrial parks. Or beach ways. Conduit went dead for a long while, heavy patrols, car impounds and such. DPA is insane just to cruise on. Not worth it.

I did drag out in that area but I don't remember the strips name. I don't think it was National. East Hampton IIRC.
(I'm a baby @ 50 years old.)
Some of my older co-workers ran there.

I haven't been "Out on the tiles" in a decade. Mostly with the back street runners at various industrial parks. Or beach ways. Conduit went dead for a long while, heavy patrols, car impounds and such. DPA is insane just to cruise on. Not worth it.

Hey Rumble,
Meant to ask....did you ever run at the 1/8th mile track at Islip....In my late teens, there was a 64 Savoy called the Black Widow...it had a Hemi in it and ran real strong. Hope all is well!!! Take Care...Greg

1/8 mile in Islip would be "National Speedway" right?

No, never raced there. It did hear them run from my aunts house though!

1/8 mile in Islip would be "National Speedway" right?

No, never raced there. It did hear them run from my aunts house though!

The 1/8th mile track was in Islip, (I believe it closed around 1984) they also had a small oval track and ran some NASCAR events there. The big 1/4 mile track was NY National in Center Moriches. NYN was a great track...saw all the big names there like Sox and Martin, DynoDon and such. I was into the Super Stocks and A/FX's...will never forget Ronnie Sox power shifting "Lil Boss" (68-69) through the gears WOW!!!!Always wanted to see the Chi-Town Hustler (long burnouts) and Wild Willie Borsch in his AA/FA "Winged Express", but they rarely came that far east. I have pictures taken on my Kodak Hawkeye camera of Roger Lindamood working on his "Color Me Gone" Charger in the mid 60's. Those were the days you could stand next to the car as they worked on them. If I can find the photos , I will try to post them. We usually sat up top at the starting line and when the "funny cars" took off, you had bits of rubber in your hair and your eyes were burning from the stout amts. of nitromethane they were using back then.I was lucky to grow up in that era....great times!!!!!!!!!! Take care, Greg

-
Back