Newbie Question re Oil Filler Breather Cap

-

Jizgrey

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forum and have a newbie question. Does the oil filler breather cap have to be replaced if it's old? I can't find an OEM replacement that fits properly. If it can be cleaned I can't figure out how to take it apart. I have a 68 Dart with a 225.

Drop it in a bucket of diesel fuel or kerosene. Let it sit overnight and them blow it out with compressed air - be gentle with the air pressure. 30psi or so. It will be fine for another 25 years.

Drop it in a bucket of diesel fuel or kerosene. Let it sit overnight and them blow it out with compressed air - be gentle with the air pressure. 30psi or so. It will be fine for another 25 years.

I used paint thinner.

With a 64 you can just have it upside down and fill it up........

Yep. I picked a solvent and filled it upside down for a couple days, rinsed and repeated until it rinsed clean. It took a few times.
:thumbsup:

Once it's clean, treat it like the old oil-bath air filters.....

Add some oil.

I know this is a bit older but my 65 barracuda has the original breather cap I want to clean and re use. What type of filter/media do I use?

My 64 breather was deteriorating and bits of the media was falling out.

In the short term I'm running a new tall chrome one found at a swap meet, could've been Mopar Nats. Tony Dagostino was reproducing them for Hemi engines ($$$) and I rummaged through his seconds and bought it for like half price.

Long term I was going to try repacking my original with copper or brass wool but it's far down on my to-do list.

-
Back