-

Longroof66

Reaction score
I purchased 66 270 wagon 2 years ago Peru Illinois. I was nearing retirement and after selling my Harley I used part of the proceeds to buy this wagon for a retirement project 4 my wife and I. A lot of things have happened those two years that kept us from getting started including my wife's passing this last July. The dust has settled and I think I'm ready to get started on this. This forum seems like a great place for a guy with the average mechanical skills to connect with some very knowledgeable, like-minded people. Boy do I have a lot of questions and will appreciate any help I can get.

20210113_150734.jpg

20210115_131528.jpg

20210116_152001.jpg

First off I'm sorry for your loss, that's a common story and I admire your perseverance to continue on it. Secondly welcome! We'll be happy to help you in any way we can with your project. Enjoy the forum.

I purchased 66 270 wagon 2 years ago Peru Illinois. I was nearing retirement and after selling my Harley I used part of the proceeds to buy this wagon for a retirement project 4 my wife and I. A lot of things have happened those two years that kept us from getting started including my wife's passing this last July. The dust has settled and I think I'm ready to get started on this. This forum seems like a great place for a guy with the average mechanical skills to connect with some very knowledgeable, like-minded people. Boy do I have a lot of questions and will appreciate any help I can get.

View attachment 1715674789

View attachment 1715674790

View attachment 1715674791
Welcome from Minnesota. We're all here to help each other. This site is great! Sorry for your loss. The wagon looks like it's gonna be pretty cool! You should find everything here that you need to complete your project. Steve

First off I'm sorry for your loss, that's a common story and I admire your perseverance to continue on it. Secondly welcome! We'll be happy to help you in any way we can with your project. Enjoy the forum.
Thank you. We had plans to restore this car, put one of our Harleys on a trailer behind it and get the heck out of Northern Michigan in the winters. I'm going to try and continue with that plan. Thanks again for your response, I have a feeling we'll be talking future.

Welcome from Minnesota. We're all here to help each other. This site is great! Sorry for your loss. The wagon looks like it's gonna be pretty cool! You should find everything here that you need to complete your project. Steve
Thanks Steve. I actually got started this afternoon. Started pulling front end apart. Grill, headlight bezel, headlights, radiator. Having fun. That's why I'm doing this, right...

Welcome. Sorry for your loss. I've been married 49.5 years, and I can't even imagine that loss. I LOVE the car. I really like wagons. 20 years ago, you could barely give one away, and now they are hot. This is a great site. Any question you could ever have can be answered here. What color are you thinking. I think it would look AWESOME in silver with a red interior. WOW! Post lots of pictures during your project. You may think you only have 'average mechanical skills' now, but after a few years on this project, you'll be an expert. Good luck.

Welcome! I have a 66 Valiant, love the wagons and they are tough to find! You come to a good place here, lots of knowledge and friendly people. Bummer about your wife, that’s hard. maybe you could pay tribute to her through the car...did she pick a color or want something a certain way? Maybe a personalized license plate of some kind? Glad to have you here and good luck!

She had her heart set on a two tone teal blue and Irish cream. I haven't painted a car over 30 years, this should be interesting. We had not decided yet on the personalized plate. I have decided it will just read LEONA6,that's her and the 6 grand children. Thanks for your concern and suggestions.

Welcome. Sorry for your loss. I've been married 49.5 years, and I can't even imagine that loss. I LOVE the car. I really like wagons. 20 years ago, you could barely give one away, and now they are hot. This is a great site. Any question you could ever have can be answered here. What color are you thinking. I think it would look AWESOME in silver with a red interior. WOW! Post lots of pictures during your project. You may think you only have 'average mechanical skills' now, but after a few years on this project, you'll be an expert. Good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement. 49.5 years WOW!!! That's enviable. She wanted to go with a teal and cream so I'm going with that in her honor. I have a long way to go before I decide on an interior but I'm leaning towards a tan color. She dreamed of finishing the car in a couple of years and putting her her Harley on a trailer behind it and going to warm places in the winter. My Harley is gone but hers is still in the garage so I'm going to make an effort to continue that plan. I think I have a formidable task ahead of me with my limited skills, so I have a feeling this forum will be invaluable to me. Thanks again for the Welcome.

Longroof, just because you say you have limited skills shouldn't deter you. Just remember this question, "How do you eat an elephant" Answer, "One bite at a time". Keep persevering, your wife is looking down & smiling.

Sorry for your loss. I know it is hard.
Yes, welcome. You will find unlimited advice, help, encouragement, etc here.
Wagons are cool!!!
You an get it done!!!!
If you get this far South (S E TEXAS) give me a call and drop by. Coffee is always one and feed. Even a place to rash at.

Sorry for your loss. I know it is hard.
Yes, welcome. You will find unlimited advice, help, encouragement, etc here.
Wagons are cool!!!
You an get it done!!!!
If you get this far South (S E TEXAS) give me a call and drop by. Coffee is always one and feed. Even a place to rash at.

Welcome from Fredericksburg, VA. Very sorry for your loss. Think you will find the people here will become like a second family for you. Good luck with the project.

Thanks Virginia dart. Only been on this forum for a couple of days and already I can tell there are a lot of helpful and decent people on this site. Ultimately I would love 2 transplant modern Mopar V6, trans and differential in this car, however my skills and budget are going to require me to try and get 50 or 75 more horsepower out of the existing 225. I don't even know yet weather the 904 that I have can be beefed up to handle that or if the seven and a quarter Axl can be upgraded as well. Lots of questions....

Welcome from
:canada:

So sorry for the loss of your wife, that would be a difficult time.
Good luck with your project and keep us posted with pics.

welcome aboard

truly sorry about your wife, hopefully you will be able to put some of her thoughts for this car into it

on a side note, i picked up my duster very close to traverse city (cant remember the name of the hamlet i actually got it from)

any chance you remember seeing a orange 71 duster with a canadian license plate on the front, oh, 5, 6 years ago?

welcome aboard

truly sorry about your wife, hopefully you will be able to put some of her thoughts for this car into it

on a side note, i picked up my duster very close to traverse city (cant remember the name of the hamlet i actually got it from)

any chance you remember seeing a orange 71 duster with a canadian license plate on the front, oh, 5, 6 years ago?
Thanks for the welcome. No I sure don't recall seeing the duster you're talkin about.

-
Back