Next time you spring for that top of the line Snap-On sheat

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Guy from another forum posted this. Said his Snap-on battery tester "took a crap" and he thought he'd save the clamps................

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

Well i’ll be dipped!
You do realize walmart and other big box /online stores sell snap-on licenced products? Not made by them at all.

I also read somewhere that their lifetime warranty is for the lifetime of the tool. And every tool has a lifespan........Not sure if this is fact or fiction?

I also read somewhere that their lifetime warranty is for the lifetime of the tool. And every tool has a lifespan........Not sure if this is fact or fiction?
In a way that is true.

A battery tester does not put a load on the wire like a starter does.

Also if you are measuring voltage you would get a better reading using a separate set of wires than the ones carrying the current.

That might be good practice rather than manufacturing shortcut.

I have my dad's tool set with a Snap-on 1/2" rachet # SV-71A
Called for repair kit. I was told this model was government issue from the late 1940's. Parts are not available. That was it. Too bad
Doesn't look like a 70-year-old tool

Copper wire is copper wire and it is at least flexible. Probably fairly inexpensive because it is used for other products. To the op, what amp rating was your tester? Was it a 100 amp toaster ribbon style?

Ok toolmanmike, you know I can’t resist this. I agree about Snap-On tools losing some of their quality, however, a couple of comments. As TMM asked, was it a 100A toaster-type tester? One previous comment stated that a battery tester doesn’t put the same load on a battery as a starter. A good one can, however. I’m going in the “way-back machine” of my memory here, but, according to my often inaccurate memory, the old Snap-On MT540 had a 500A load pile (Sun’s competing VAT-40 had a 400A pile). The testing protocol for a battery was three times the Amp-hour rating (remember that?) for 15 seconds, at the end of which the battery voltage should not have dropped below 11.5V. Needless to say, shops with a large-pile load tester sold a lot of batteries back in the day. Disclaimer: I was a Snap-On dealer from 1978-1985, shortly after the invention of fire and the wheel.

Ok, tell me what I’m supposed to be seeing here
3 smaller wires rather than 1 larger wire.

The presumption is that it is a cheap Chinese manufacturered tool from a traditionally top end American tool maker

I think 10-3 good for 40 amps

10-3 is rated for 40 amps per conductor... Typically on a three conductor cable power moves in both directions with a ground to back up the neutral.... Since all three conductors are allowing current flow in one direction thats 120 amps...

Still shady but as others have mentioned Snap-On is sold through Walmart these days...

Walmart snap on is not what is available on the trucks.
I do agree with the offshore manufacturing.

I bought snap on diagonal cutters for my job a few years back.
I was an aircraft electrical tech.
They wore out, I got the snap on guy in and he said:
Not broke so no replacement.
I told him they would not cut, and in my mind they were not usable.
Again, not broke.
Didn't want to crack them in a vice.

Ok toolmanmike, you know I can’t resist this. I agree about Snap-On tools losing some of their quality, however, a couple of comments. As TMM asked, was it a 100A toaster-type tester? One previous comment stated that a battery tester doesn’t put the same load on a battery as a starter. A good one can, however. I’m going in the “way-back machine” of my memory here, but, according to my often inaccurate memory, the old Snap-On MT540 had a 500A load pile (Sun’s competing VAT-40 had a 400A pile). The testing protocol for a battery was three times the Amp-hour rating (remember that?) for 15 seconds, at the end of which the battery voltage should not have dropped below 11.5V. Needless to say, shops with a large-pile load tester sold a lot of batteries back in the day. Disclaimer: I was a Snap-On dealer from 1978-1985, shortly after the invention of fire and the wheel.

And there's been some carbon pile testers made over 500 too........Here's a Solar 1000A, and I think Autometer used to make a 1K Amp EDIT--finding an Autometer 800A

Solar.jpg

Last edited:
Snap on is feeling the heat from the box stores. Harbor freight, husky, etc are all making good quality tools at a fraction of the snap on price. Its just a matter of time before snap on folds if they dont get revamp their business model.
Im hearing that they no longer honor the lifetime warranty without a receipt. How many of you guys have tool receipts from 30 years ago? This will be a class action lawsuit eventually.

I bought snap on diagonal cutters for my job a few years back.
I was an aircraft electrical tech.
They wore out, I got the snap on guy in and he said:
Not broke so no replacement.
I told him they would not cut, and in my mind they were not usable.
Again, not broke.
Didn't want to crack them in a vice.
My snap on rep has replaced my diagonal side cutters many times over the years due to both chipped cutters and worn pivots.Probably up to reps discretion. On the other hand I have several Mac tools 3/8 drive impact sockets that have rounded off and will not break. Metal is too soft.Dealer said to hammer a ball bearing in to the socket to crack them. All that did was distort them into the abuse category and so not warranty.Had a route screw up and this happened at the shop a few months ago.RJ

BA558FE8-625A-4C95-9BC9-EAD9B55F006F.jpeg

Snap on is feeling the heat from the box stores. Harbor freight, husky, etc are all making good quality tools at a fraction of the snap on price. Its just a matter of time before snap on folds if they dont get revamp their business model.
Im hearing that they no longer honor the lifetime warranty without a receipt. How many of you guys have tool receipts from 30 years ago? This will be a class action lawsuit eventually.
That would really suck if it comes to that. I also heard they have really squeezed their franchisees as to how they stock the trucks, lines of credit etc.On top of that they are dealing with all these global shortages. I have been waiting 6 weeks for a warranty replacement on a 24mm swivel impact socket. Back ordered. RJ

Well I love my snap-on tools! Yesterday I pulled out a 40 year old combustible leak detector (ACT 8800) and figured I would have to put batteries in it. Looked and they are 2.4 volt batteries. Where the hell am I going to find these. Plugged in the charger and it worked great! You just gotta love it.

image.jpg

Well I love my snap-on tools! Yesterday I pulled out a 40 year old combustible leak detector (ACT 8800) and figured I would have to put batteries in it. Looked and they are 2.4 volt batteries. Where the hell am I going to find these. Plugged in the charger and it worked great! You just gotta love it.

View attachment 1715843252
A quality tool made by TIF.

-
Back