NHRA STOCK CLASS DUSTER

-

Jeremy

Reaction score
MY DUSTER THAT I HAVE BEEN RACING SINCE 1973. i HAS STOCK CARBURATOR AND INTAKE MANIFOLD, STOCK HEADS MILLED TO STOCK CC'S, AFTERMARKET PISTONS AND A .050 OVER SIZE, RITTER BLOCK,
20161217_180340_1549573019830_001.jpg
STOCK LIFT CAM WITH MORE DURATION, 5200 STALL CONVERTER AND A 4.88 REAR. IT HAS RUN A BEST ET OF 10.38 @ 126 MPH LAST YEAR.
20160602_122406.jpg

Cool car, I have a 75 dressed as a 73 to run a 340. Has run in stock, and superstock over the years. Will be superstock again this spring. Has been a race car since 75, 5300 original miles.

I really like your car and the fact that you've had it so long. Can you tell us some more about it. What's worked best for you and what hasn't and maybe what parts broke along the way. Sounds like you have a ton of experience. Please share more with the rest of us. Thanks, Steve

Couple more questions. Are the D/SA rules still close to the same as they were in the 70's? Except for the safety rules that I'm sure have changed. Also what rear end can you and do you run for that class? Thanks again for sharing. I have some NHRA rule books from 69, 70, 71 and 72. Once in a while I like to look at them think about the olden days

I was just rereading the post and see it was classed in D/SA. I'm curious how you had it factored, my car when run as a stocker, with a low compression 340 setup usually ran in H/SA. I am very new to this and not familiar with all the ins and outs. The difference between D and H seems quite large, can you share any info?

I have two engines. One low compression and one high compression with two tail panels, and tail lights. I ran f or g with the low compression and D with the high compression.
The rules can be found at nhra.com.

I have two engines. One low compression and one high compression with two tail panels, and tail lights. I ran f or g with the low compression and D with the high compression.
That is the reason I chose a 73 Duster. I can run it as a 73 with a 340 or as a 74 with a 360. It's under long term constuction. lol

Ok, I'm with you now. I could not tell from photo that the car was a 71-72 and could run either engine setup.

Thanks for the info, specs, and pictures.
I always had a great interest in the stock class.
Most racers won't let out any details of the build specs etc. as it is a super competitive class and always has been.
I take it you're running CalTracs for the rear suspension, but what does the car weigh?
What did the car run with Super Stock springs of old?
With that wheelie in the picture posted, It would seem to me that you had a little too much ballast in the back.
Or is the car always set up to get a lot of air?
Pretty darn cool at any rate!

Please explain to me how you can use a Ritter block in Stock eliminator . I always thought that you have to have the correct casting block for the year of the car . Thanks .

1. usually does not wheelie that high, just a couple of feet, the air was really good that day and it got away from me.
2. used to have 002 and 003 ss springs, they were just as fast but left they line more violent.
3. Ballast. depending on the class I was running I used very little to 200 pounds, In the picture there was very little but the air was very good and it was making more power.
4. Ritter block. For years Mopar made a replacement 340 block, about 10 years ago they ran out and would not make any more good blocks, none could be obtained. The Ritter block was submitted as a replacement block to NHRA, they went to the foundery looked at the way it was built and approved the stock version of the Ritter, block as a approved version of a replacement block, no other version of a decient block is .available.
Thank you for your response!
Great information here...........

As Jeremy said, my Duster runs a Mopar Performance 340 resto block. A rigid block with very good ring seal are essential to getting every bit of power available. Any time a non original part is used, it must be on the approved listing from NHRA, and must be in stock spec. ie, compression, chamber volume, port volume, weight, stroke, bore.

Due to original parts supply drying up some replacements have been allowed, or other part numbers allowed. For example, a 73 low compression 340 would have come with 576 casting 1.88 valve heads, it is legal to use as a replacement several other part numbers, including 308 castings which were made in late 80's and early 90's. These can be used as long as they are to stock spec as far as valve size, port and chamber volume.

That is the reason I chose a 73 Duster. I can run it as a 73 with a 340 or as a 74 with a 360. It's under long term constuction. lol
I talked to a guy at the Mile High Nationals about running a 360 power Duster in Stock and he said that they are not nearly competitive enough.

The 360 combo will run very well. I have a friend running one and it is very fast, but it's true the 340 is a better combo at the present rated horsepower.

I talked to a guy at the Mile High Nationals about running a 360 power Duster in Stock and he said that they are not nearly competitive enough.
That's interesting. I talked to a stocker at Mopars at the strip about the 360 and the 340. He runs a 71 340.
And he told me the 360 had a little more bottom and had a tendency to break things before the 340 did.
I guess I'll find out the hard way. Either way I wanted to race stockers since I was a teenager.

That's interesting. I talked to a stocker at Mopars at the strip about the 360 and the 340. He runs a 71 340.
And he told me the 360 had a little more bottom and had a tendency to break things before the 340 did.
I guess I'll find out the hard way. Either way I wanted to race stockers since I was a teenager.
360s make plenty of HP to run. I think it has more to do with the weight breaks for a 360 powered Duster.

-
Back