Nib file

-

varlo

Joe- Long Island, Oakdale
Reaction score
Just layed fresh paint on the scamp last night but I have a huge run down the passenger quarterpanel that needs to be taken care of. I have the file. Last time I wasnt afraid to use it because I knew the car was getting more paint. Im just nervous on hitting this paint. But are there any techniques or anyone that was in a similar situation that can chime in on this and help me out.

Thanks,
Joe

Get some single edge razor blades, hold it on the run, perpendicular to the panel and slowly drag it across the run. Take your time, use NEW blades...then wet sand/buff.

Bob

I thought that was the purpose of the nib file. So that it wouldnt take anything else but the excess paint in the run off. Im worried about the surface being dull. Will it be fine with a wetsand/buff?

Thanks though.

It will be dull after shaving but you're wetsanding and buffing anyway. If it's a big run don't try to wetsand it out alone. You'll end up removing material you don't want to.

You can also wrap tape around the ends of the blade just leaving a section in the middle exposed. That will protect from accidently digging in with the corners. Works great.

BTW, this is for clearcoat or a solid, not single stage metallic, right?

-
Back