nitrous setup on 318

-

17dartandbroke

Reaction score
i was wondering, what would you recomend on a stock bottom ended 318 as far as nitrous goes. i would like my dart to see low thirteens/high twelves on nitrous. how much could it handle? what does putting nitrous on a car entail? reccomendations?

thanks,
daryl

Cast pistons wont like much nirtous at all. 125 horse kit is what N.O.S. says is the most you should you with them. I would stay around 75-100 tops. You'll need a good fuel system and less timing and if your crossing the end of the quarter mile at or close to red line you'll need less gearing.

i was hoping for a 100 shot actually, so that works out nicely. any ideas on specific kits. i was checking out the N.O.S. sniper kit. what about ignition/bottleheater, and what fuel system upgrades do i need to install prior to nitrous.

thanks,
daryl

The sniper kit would be ok. Id look for something adjustable incase you want to run more nitrous later. You'll need a good fuel pump and id run 3/8" line atleast.

you can just tap it in to the fuel system for the motor as long as you have a good enough fuel system.

You also need a GOOD ignition system. If you don't already have an ignition box, I suggest the Mallory Hyfire VI. It has 2-stage rev limiter, window switch, and timing retard all built in. And they are programmable with a keypad vs the 'pills' you have to buy for MSD boxes.

The window switch is important. It allows you to set a minimum and maximum rpm limit that nitrous will spray. If nitrous comes on at too low of an rpm, you can get a nitrous backfire. Turning the nitrous off just below your shift point saves wear and tear on your transmission clutch packs.

I also recommend a bottle warmer and a blanket. The setup I have is Nitrous Express. It has a pressure switch that controls the bottle warmer. Some 'optional' accessories are a remote bottle opener, dash mounted pressure gauge, and a purge solenoid. If you race at a NHRA track, you may need a blow off tube to vent to the outside of the car.

With a 100 shot, you will only get a few 1/4 mile passes on a 10lbs bottle. Depending on what kit you buy, you may be able 'upgrade' to a 15lbs bottle.

thanks for all of the advice.

after i get the performer intake on the car, ill be buying the fuel system and ignition for the nitrous...........then the fun will start happening

thanks again,
daryl

-
Back