No brake pressure

-

Blackhatguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure why it started, but my right front brake started dragging, then it got hot and destroyed the shoes. When it blew, there was also a big white puff of smoke from all of the brake fluid that sprayed out of the wheel cylinder. I changed the hose, and the wheel cylinder, and bled the brakes, I also of course change the shoes and hardware.

But now, pedal just goes straight to the floor.

I have no leaks anywhere.. Do you think something in the master cylinder was damaged? I'm at a loss here for ideas...

forgot to fill up the master cylinder with brake fluid -- I have no clue

I forgot to mention too, when I press on the pedal it shoots a stream of brake fluid straight up out of the reservoir. I just made a mess all over the place because I forgot to put the lid back on. But there is absolutely no resistance to the pedal, just go straight to the floor

Seals on the master cylinder must have failed. It won't build pressure but will move some fluid out. They can go bad even when new.

Any of them will shoot fluid up in the reservoir unless you work it very slowly.
Bled all the lines starting at right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front?
Full stroke of a master cylinders piston causes travel over debris that has accumulated over a long period. Most times the master doesn't fail until a week or 3 after a catastrophic fluid loss and that is typically a small bypass, slowly sinking pedal.

The problem turned out to be that the master cylinder seals blew... I replaced it and we are good to go. Thank you guys for the helpful comments.

-
Back