No cheap Mopar valve springs?

-

HTMLmopars

Reaction score
Thinking about throwing a cam at my 318 and running through 318willrun's budget build. The springs he uses are the edl-5877 pn and those appear to no longer exist. I don't really wanna spend $100 on springs instead of $50, but that might just be the pandemic pricing.
My bigger question is where can I find those lighter, stock replacement style springs? Trying to stay on a budget and reuse retainers. Not to mention the car doesn't need a ton of spring, it's just a stock converter, it's not getting a big cam.

Thinking about throwing a cam at my 318 and running through 318willrun's budget build. The springs he uses are the edl-5877 pn and those appear to no longer exist. I don't really wanna spend $100 on springs instead of $50, but that might just be the pandemic pricing.
My bigger question is where can I find those lighter, stock replacement style springs? Trying to stay on a budget and reuse retainers. Not to mention the car doesn't need a ton of spring, it's just a stock converter, it's not getting a big cam.

Comp Cams Single Valve Springs

You need to use whatever springs your camshaft requires. What camshaft?

I think trick flow and comp cams makes valve springs that sell around 60 bucks. 901's

Comp 901.
I think Melling actually makes a performance version for like a 340 replacement - Rock auto had them for something like 2.99 each?? I don't know, I can't remember off the top LOL

I think Melling actually makes a performance version for like a 340 replacement - Rock auto had them for something like 2.99 each?? I don't know, I can't remember off the top LOL

The problem I have with springs like that is, in one place you see one set of specs and another place you see different specs. The Comp 901 has the same specs across the board, no matter where they're advertised. The Melling springs may well be fine, but I've never taken a chance on them.

The problem I have with springs like that is, in one place you see one set of specs and another place you see different specs. The Comp 901 has the same specs across the board, no matter where they're advertised. The Melling springs may well be fine, but I've never taken a chance on them.
Comp 901's are used a ton..... I think the TF 901's are the exact same spring but 5 bucks cheaper for the set ?? LOL Same manufacture I believe. Anyways, some real budget friendly choices for the OP.

Y'all are on top of it. Thanks a ton. Como doesn't list them for specific engines, so I was having trouble trying to sort through the specs to find the right ones last night. Probably looking at it too late at night...

When working on Mopars unfortunately nothing comes cheap. At one time you could have bought from Mopar Performance but that is a thing of the past.

In my opinion springs are no place to cut corners granted you don't need a high end double spring but saving $10 on a set of valve springs that might work not a good move.

I didn't know anything good could be bought for under a 100.
You don't want to cheap on valve components.

And attention to proper installed height is very important, do not skip this step!

I have two sets of new springs...Howards and Elgin. Both roughly 130#/320#...your choice $55.00 shipped.

I have two sets of new springs...Howards and Elgin. Both roughly 130#/320#...your choice $55.00 shipped.
sorry, didn't mean to leave the thread unattended all week. do you have the pn's and or install heights like prior comments mentioned? trying to do this as correctly as possible. if you want to continue in PMs just jump in there and I'll do my best to respond quickly

-
Back