No fuel...likely the pump but not sure

-

brodphish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 67 resto mod Barracuda is not getting fuel. It wants to start with starter fluid / gas in the carb but won't run. Tomorrow I am going to make sure it has gas in the tank and check the fuel filter. IF it still won't start Id like ideas on what else to try.

I suspect it is the fuel pump but I'm not sure. How can I check and determine with certainty if that is the problem? I've had the car for 8 years and the fuel pump has gone out once or twice in the 8 years I've owned it. That seems like a lot to me.

I mention it is a resto mod as the electrical system seems to be the Achilles heel of this car. It looks great and makes a ton of power but I think whoever did the car cheaped out on the electrical harness. I replaced the alternator and regulator the last couple of years and when I go the car 8 years ago the firewall connectors were a mess.

One clue - last fall the car was intermittently hard to start. It would crank and crank and then catch with a roar.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Not starting while cold?
Not starting while hot?
Unless you have an electric fuel pump I dont see what electrical would have to do with it not starting unless the problem is with the ignition.
Do you have a vacuum or fuel pressure gauge to check the pump.
What carb are you running? Is the accelerator pump working, squirting gas into the carb?
Dont use starter fluid on an engine that wont run, the issue is most likely electrical if it wont start with a little gas in the carb.
Is the gas tank original, you could have debris trashing the pump and or filter.

pull the line from the pump, the fuel should flow out by gravity if its under the fuel line. you could have a stuffed sock. Is it a round body pump (ie good carter or Edlebrock?) take it apart and make sure both inlet check valves are still pressed in. I found one that had a check valve rolling around in there and would barely pump anything. lastly, dont use starting fluid into the bores: just shoot gas out of a red Diner ketchup squeeze bottle right into the front bowl vent to back-fill the bowl(s). Itll start and run for about 5 seconds with a full bowl.

My 67 resto mod Barracuda is not getting fuel. It wants to start with starter fluid / gas in the carb but won't run. Tomorrow I am going to make sure it has gas in the tank and check the fuel filter. IF it still won't start Id like ideas on what else to try.

I suspect it is the fuel pump but I'm not sure. How can I check and determine with certainty if that is the problem? I've had the car for 8 years and the fuel pump has gone out once or twice in the 8 years I've owned it. That seems like a lot to me.

I mention it is a resto mod as the electrical system seems to be the Achilles heel of this car. It looks great and makes a ton of power but I think whoever did the car cheaped out on the electrical harness. I replaced the alternator and regulator the last couple of years and when I go the car 8 years ago the firewall connectors were a mess.

One clue - last fall the car was intermittently hard to start. It would crank and crank and then catch with a roar.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Original fuel system ?? Replace everything in it , fuel filter , pump , at least blow out the disconnected lines w/ hi air pressure-------even the sock in the tank , tank is probly yucked up too !!

Think about " yucked up" a minute , double meaning !!
You'd be wise to rewire the whole car , 52 yr. old wiring !!

OK I checked the fuel filter and it was clean as clean can be. I disconnected the lower fuel line and fuel was leaking out as soon as it became loose. Evidently plenty of fuel line and /or pump.

Seems like the pump needs a rebuild / replacement. Any other trouble shooting I should do first?

It is a round body pump but I didn't see a make in it. If I have to replace the pump, any recommendation on specs? The motor is a 417 stroker.

Thanks to all respond. I'd be lost without your info.

Yesterday I finally had the time to swap out the old Carter fuel pump with a brand new one. Started right up, easier than ever. Runs awesome.

Took me 2 hours for what prolly should be a 30 minute job for a good wrench. But the results were great, and that's a major win for me.

Many thanks to you all for the guidance and confidence to do this.

-
Back