No Juice???

-

1972Dart

Reaction score
It's been a long day and still no juice? Quick background...72 Dart has been up on jack stands since July (it ran then). I mini tubbed and put in a new rear and patched the floor pans (didn't mess with any juice at all). The battery was already located in the back by previous owner but no master kill switch. So today I decided to install a master kill switch and some remote jump posts. After re-routing all the cables nice and pretty with clamps etc. the Dart won't even try to turn over. I get absolutely no juice to the car. So I disconnected the main starter wire from the kill switch and hooked it directly to the battery and ran neg to the ground (also tried jump box) and nothing. Now this was just like it was before I did anything and I get no juice. I shot the wires from the battery to the switch and I have juice. So I hooked the jump box directly to the starter and grounded it to the frame and still nothing. Should I start looking at an ignition relay, the ignition, or what here? P.S I'm glad I took a break and decided to come visit in here, I get inspired when I see all the mopars that run. Just wish I could get mine to that state. Oh yeah, my grounds all are cleaned down to bare metal. I first thought it wasn't grounded properly.

I don't have a wiring diagram for my car so I'm going to start tracing wires. I'm not very experienced with electrical systems and relay locations etc. Classic car wiring is looking nice about now. ThanX for the input I'll keep ya posted

Ok I just shot the wires. I have continuity from the battery, in and out of the kill switch, and also both in and out of the starter. Then out of the starter the large wire goes to a little silver box on the inner fender well. (relay switch)? That little box has 4 posts. The large post to the rear has the starter wire hooked to it, middle post has a small ground wire, and the 2 small posts to the front (one is above the other) is the PROBLEM! I have continuity at the large post that comes from the starter but NOT to the front 2 wires. Bottom wire is yellow smaller diameter about 18ga and the top one is brown and yellow wire about 14ga. They both go to the black box on the firewall one goes to the 1st series from drivers side 2nd down from top. The other goes to the 2nd row from drivers side 2nd down from top. Another words they are side by side.
I'll continue in a sec

I disconnected the wires, made a 2 jump wires and stuck them to the hot side that comes out of the starter on the little silver box and presto it clicks and I have lights but won't start. I kept clicking it and then tried to start it and it turned over but didn't start. I tried to turn it again and no juice. I went back up clicked the wires and had headlights again etc. but now I can't get it to try to turn again. What is this little silver box as I call it shamefully. Is this my ignition relay or what and any suggestions on fixing this. Thanks for the info so far. I'm on to something I just don't know what?
Adam

-
Back