no left turn !

-

cannucky

The Guy With No Birthday
Reaction score
I always end up with the good ones eh !LOL My daily driver 1997 Concorde LXI with the 3.5 SC in it suddenly decided to not turn left as I was turning into a parking spot . It has full power assist when turning right but seriously heavy armstrong steering when going left ,fluid is good and there is no pump rumble . Anybody know what is going on ? is it another stupid relay issue ? or is their a valve sticking in the power assist unit ? suggestions and ideas of repair cost greatly appreciated .
PS It seems to want to work when turning under acceleration and even did seem to work a couple of times on the way home when straightening back up after a right turn .

Just a guess mind you, but it sounds like the steering rack Is bad. Lot of manufacturers had issues with the seals in the rack and pinion unit being too stiff and allowing fluid to bypass internally. Not much you can do except replace it. Maybe someone else will chime in and help out.

Just a guess mind you, but it sounds like the steering rack Is bad. Lot of manufacturers had issues with the seals in the rack and pinion unit being too stiff and allowing fluid to bypass internally. Not much you can do except replace it. Maybe someone else will chime in and help out.
Thanks you are correct .It even has a name -Morning Sickness Steering -I have sourced a new rack but am waiting on labour quotes , it's tucked up behind the motor in a real crappy place to get to so I might just get another beater , this one only cost a grand 16 months ago so it might not be worth another grand for the repair if I can move into something newer for that grand instead eh .shame tho clean car ,real low miles for a 97 but it doesn't make sense to put too much coin into it .Thanks for the input .

Thanks you are correct .It even has a name -Morning Sickness Steering -I have sourced a new rack but am waiting on labour quotes , it's tucked up behind the motor in a real crappy place to get to so I might just get another beater , this one only cost a grand 16 months ago so it might not be worth another grand for the repair if I can move into something newer for that grand instead eh .shame tho clean car ,real low miles for a 97 but it doesn't make sense to put too much coin into it .Thanks for the input .

I did some online research after I saw your post and apparently a lot of people have had problems with the rack in those cars.
A crapload of oddball electrical gremlins as well.

I did some online research after I saw your post and apparently a lot of people have had problems with the rack in those cars.
A crapload of oddball electrical gremlins as well.
Yeah I have learned to ignore the check engine light after hooking it up a couple of times and finding no codes in memory .Thats the joy of buying $1000 beaters but it still beats paying 30-40k for a new one eh!

Yeah I have learned to ignore the check engine light after hooking it up a couple of times and finding no codes in memory .Thats the joy of buying $1000 beaters but it still beats paying 30-40k for a new one eh!

I absolutely agree.
We have three cars between the Wife and I and not one car payment. :D
As a matter of fact in the 28 years we have been married, we have never had a car payment.
We have a decent mechanic available. :D

I have a few real good friends in the parts business around here , thanks to my old beaters and my Barracuda LOL ! I'm still driving it to work as of now and if I end up with a lull at work I might even fix it myself , after the weather clears enough for me to get out in the garage and finish putting the stroker back together first , a mans got to keep his priorities straight eh !

..................Those cars r hell to do a wheel alignment on, but not so bad once u change the rack and have loosened/taken apart/changed the tie rod ends..............kim......oh ya a ***** to break the bolts loose on the inner tie rod to the rack...

My schedule looks to be open this week after a half day monday so I just might take a shot at doing this , the big question right now is can I just replace the Speed Perportional Steering rack with a conventional rack ? they appear to be the same minus the solenoid and wiring , does the car care which rack it has ? I don't need the SPS system a straight power assist is just fine and the price difference is huge , the regular is @ $240 my cost available next day , while the SPS rack is like $450 and takes 4+days to get here on the island .
No worries Kim , I have that 36 " heavy duty bar we used to pull my heads at your place so either the bolt breaks loose or the bolt breaks off .LOL "Strong like Bull Smart like Streetcar " .

......I have no idea on the interchange...........there is a clip bent over the flat edge of the inner bolt........turn the steering all the way left or right to be able to get at the bolts easier.....kim.....

-
Back