No low band apply okay for mild car?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
So, I understand the holding power associated with low band apply on a manual VB.
And the same with a stock VB in manual low.

Lots of aftermarket VBs dont have manual low band apply.

What is the difference between launching in drive on a stock transmission and launching in low on a manual VB with no low apply?

Seems like the situation is the same. IF so, for a mild engine and non drag race application what would it hurt to have a non low band apply manual VB?

We have a cheetah in our Jensen for 6 or more years and no issues but I am wondering about safety.

We do not do burnouts. We occasionally take off quickly and go thru the gears. The car is driven pretty mildly and probably makes 300 - 350 horse (440). The 308 gears and 4200 pounds is the only strain on the system really.

Any thoughts?

It has to do with the sprag not having to hold the entire engine power by itself, and engine braking also.
The engine braking part won't make a difference with a manual VB, but the low band apply for first just makes it tougher. (that is if I remember correctly)
Tracy could tell you the details more acuratly than I.

It is even fine for a race car. All that is really needed is a manual valve body and a driver that's not stupid.

With a manual valve body and enough sense to do the burnout in 2nd, there's no extra stress on the sprag. But whatever blows your skirt up.

Rusty,

By being stupid I assume you mean burnouts in 1st gear with slicks? What else could cause me problems related to driving techniques? Thanks.

Exactly. Nothing. As long as you have a manual valve body and do your burnouts in 2nd, nothing else is really needed. Is it nice to have other stuff? I guess. The bolt in sprag is easy to install and I probably would do it if I had the transmission down, but with the manual valve body and common sense, it is not a necessity.

Very nice Rusty. I figured as much regarding the abuse vs potential for failure. My buddy had a 727 with normal cheetah VB for years on the street with no issue and he raced all the time. No slicks and no burnouts in 1st.

Lots of people use first with slicks at the track. My best guess is they don't have the power it takes to explode a Torqueflite......and that's fine too.

I have a "no band apply" unit, got it used, fairly reasonable. One thing "that scares me" is let's say you are in an auto X. Or just banging around curves on a back road. Seems to me, being in low, "hitting" the throttle from a coast, over and over, might be a little uh, "bad news?"

One reason I'm considering an "apply" unit

So far as I have found? there are no? reverse pattern "apply" VBs.

Cope make a Reverse pattern LBA manual vavle body

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/pro...id=64&osCsid=832c923848063be610f756c1128077a4

Pretty sure Tranzact make them also since we had a Reverse Pattern Manual Transbrake with LBA.....got rid of that thing...

Was there a reason of for getting rid of it? I just bought one a few months ago from Joe for the 904 I have not installed it yet, wiring is all there though. It is a Pro Brake VB Reverse Pattern with Low band apply. The 727 on my stand has one in it also.

Was there a reason of for getting rid of it? I just bought one a few months ago from Joe for the 904 I have not installed it yet, wiring is all there though. It is a Pro Brake VB Reverse Pattern with Low band apply. The 727 on my stand has one in it also.

If you rode through the pits with my oldest daughter....you would have gotten rid of it too....she kept downshifting into 1st......the no braking 1st gear is alot nicer ride in the pits...LOL...

If you rode through the pits with my oldest daughter....you would have gotten rid of it too....she kept downshifting into 1st......the no braking is alot nicer ride in the pits...LOL...

Yup, I hear that! Camshaft sounds better too free wheeling it! Snap, Snap, Snap when you let off the throttle!

You freaked me out for a minute there!

-
Back