no metering plate

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
So i now have the 1850-3 Holley all apart.and found no metering plate under the metering block,in the past i have found that plate.i have another 1850 for parts so i tore into it as well same thing,what gives.

you have a plate(4160) or a metering block (4150). The plate was the same thing but non adjustable. They found what worked best and "hard coded" it into the plate. Whatt did you find?

pishta the first pic is what was as,the second pic is after the block is remove-rd,there is no thin plated under the block.kind of got me think en.RRR shows on ED aka nigh moves rebuild theres a plate under the block.

S6780001.JPG

S6780002.JPG

Every 1850 I've every messed with had a sheet metal plate (and additional gasket) between the main gasket and that metering plate.

To change the secondary tune up on a 4160 style carb (which is what you have) you have to change out that entire plate.

Holley had nomenclature to differentiate between plates and their built in tune up.

So -3 4160 carbs had secondary metering blocks? I didn't know. Haven't used or bothered with any VS carb since the early '80's.

No. They have either the thin sheet metal plate or the thick one, but no block. Only 4160 I've seen were the factory 3310 780 carburetors used by GM. They had the full metering block in the rear.

Problem here is the confusion caused by what these things are being called.
The OP was asking about a thin sheet metal plate, not the cast metering plate with the circuits in it.
RRR understood what he meant, but I think others were thrown off.

Hidden? Its under the rear bowl. Its the 1st thing you see when you take the bowl off. A metering plate is a plate, a metering block is a block. You guys.....:rolleyes:

Hidden? Its under the rear bowl. Its the 1st thing you see when you take the bowl off. A metering plate is a plate, a metering block is a block. You guys.....:rolleyes:

So, what's the thin sheet metal plate called? "metering separator plate?"

So, what's the thin sheet metal plate called? "metering separator plate?"
I guess its called a "Secondary Metering Sealing Plate"!

Only pic I see is Post 6 and thats a plate. Goes right on gasket. If there is a foil thin shim (?) that goes between this plate and the gasket, thats news to me. Must be new? It looks like something they dreamed up with the new gas as the gasket did the job before. All the notes say its for "with power valve cavity on secondary side" so it may be a 'fix' for sub standard sealing with methanol and a gasket alone.
HOL- 108-122 Holley Carb 4160 Secondary Metering Sealing Plate
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Again what got me was RRR how to on the Holley he rebuilt for nightmoves a member here,you can clearly see its tore apart and there is the thin metal plate lower pic and the larger block upper pic.or am i seeing things.

No prob. RRR knew and that made it obvious, at least to some of us.

Totally missed Rusty's rebuild post pics (that was a nasty gasket!) outside this thread. That would have cleared things up, for me at least. You can link 'link' pics too. If rev.2's had them and rev.3's didnt, maybe they got rid of them as time went on, you know save a nickle over 10k pieces. I never seen one but I didnt really dabble in 4160s all that much. I remember pulling a swap meet holley apart and the block gaskets dried and puckered 1/4 inch in everywhere a screw was not holding it in. Looked sort of like a Star of David.

-
Back