No more basket cases for me....

-

mycuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters to anyone here but it matters to me this is my last I promise.

Magnum swap 4spd. early a floor pans left framerail etc.,customized metal all around and from this point on I will only be getting Mopars where I need to do body work and engine work and that's it.
My body is shot. 2 back operations.etc.
plus multiple mental issues with females
put me over top.
2 weeks car goes to other garage for
my last complete prep paint. Yesss.

No more rants.....
Thanx my kids are all good...
other than college loans.

Wheeeehw.......

Hopefully theres some young guns to keep these creatures alive!

Dave

20181127_165839.jpg

The reward when finished is priceless..... But the memory of the BS involved to get there never fades. Once the kids are out and you have a few more coins, start with a much simpler project.. The extra cash up front is a small price to pay for serenity...

i understand where mycuda is, i have a duster on the rack in the garage,for 3 years now, added power steering,added power brakes, added air conditioning, replaced k frame from 225 to 36o, replaced taillight panel, new brake lines, new gas lines, new gas tank, had a green interior ,changed everything to black, new head liner, new floor pans, new front fenders, new floor pans, new trunk pans, new wind shield, new carpet,new seats covered front and back,new door panels, and the paint i am yet to buy, but its nearly $600 for a gallon, bought the car for $3000 to start with, i have found same model dusters which may have needed a new paint job and a few front end parts replaced that i could have fixed in 6 months and they are 5 to 6 thousand, which sounds expensive, but they already had v8, ac cores, new upholstery and all the rust already cut out, it better to start with a sound base , i have more in parts than most cars i see already running the road, the only thing i can see ,its the thrill of the chase for parts, because its a lot of work to build from a turd....lol

Going on 3 years, countless thousands, busted knuckles, bumps, bruises, can barely get up off the ground after laying under the car for hours in a cramped position. If every time I had thought about "building" a project car I put money in a jar or something I could have bought a running driving finished car and enjoyed it instantly. Lol. I wish I could say never again, but I am not sure it would be the truth.

Never say never...after a nasty divorce in 1994 I decided to hang it up on Mopar project's I sold my two chargers a 1968 and a 1969 and bought a........lord forgive me corvette to start dating in again. As the years passed and I regained my sanity my true love of mopars returned and another charger is now beyond reach but if a basket case came along I'd be all over it! I have slowly traded my way back up to another Mopar I always wanted. I guess for a true Mopar but the cars are like women, absence makes the heart grow fonder.:lol:

Never say never...after a nasty divorce in 1994 I decided to hang it up on Mopar project's I sold my two chargers a 1968 and a 1969 and bought a........lord forgive me corvette to start dating in again. As the years passed and I regained my sanity my true love of mopars returned and another charger is now beyond reach but if a basket case came along I'd be all over it! I have slowly traded my way back up to another Mopar I always wanted. I guess for a true Mopar but the cars are like women, absence makes the heart grow fonder.:lol:
Sorry is the fool who trades his soul for a Corvette
Thinks he'll get the girl, he'll only get the mechanic.
Eddie Vedder

Not that it matters to anyone here but it matters to me this is my last I promise.

Magnum swap 4spd. early a floor pans left framerail etc.,customized metal all around and from this point on I will only be getting Mopars where I need to do body work and engine work and that's it.
put me over top.

No more rants.....

Wheeeehw.......

Dave

View attachment 1715254426
Just stay focused and get it done If you start getting frustrated or fed up take a break from it. It will taint the final results.
Good luck sounds like you have made alot of progress. Make sure to post photos after the paint !

We all know to buy the best project we can afford! So what do we do? We buy the cheap chit and then spend untold $ and time on it... for some people, YEARS!!!!! I enjoy the metal work, but I want all my cars being capable of going down the road, no matter how crappy they look like till I get paint on them.
Here is the deal. Some people collect cars that will never run while they have them, Never be restored in any manner.
Then there are the ones that own one car and work on it for decade. They die before it is finished.
The we have the guy that has a illion $$$ and takes it to one f the TV shops for a full customized resto, costs $$$$$$$ ZZZZZZ illions.
Then there are us that looks high and low. We are the hunter/gatherer type. One step up from a caveman if you will. WE find that $1000 slant duster with all the rust, no interior except that which little Johnny robbed out of the 1995 Hundai. does not run, no exhaust, rotted tired, brakes rusted shut 15 years ago, We can't help ourselves, We see it all shiney and with a stroker SB we got from the guy next door that was getting divorced. Firt thing we do after drgging it home is cut out the rotted floors and start welding in those new repop pans we just bought for $500, THEN our back GOES out!!!!!!!!!

The sad part is that it seems the $500. Dollar shitbox is a thing of the past and the 1500. Dollar shitbox is pretty standard now because 500 bucks gets you parts now a days

The sad part is that it seems the $500. Dollar shitbox is a thing of the past and the 1500. Dollar shitbox is pretty standard now because 500 bucks gets you parts now a days
I blame it on all these ppl who buy up good project cars just to part them out for profit. Its making it harder and harder to find decent projects. And when you do find one ppl price them like a hemi cuda convertable! Even the cars that was undesirable like 4 doors and post 73 cars are extremely hard to find reasonably priced.

I was looking for a turn-key when I found my basket case, but had to grab it.too good to pass up Had the money at the time due to plant closure/pension buy-out. but then I put the rest of my $$ on a house with a sweet garage and put a lift in it and now here I am 8 years later and still not driving my cuda (sigh) next summer, If it kills me!!

i understand where mycuda is, i have a duster on the rack in the garage,for 3 years now, added power steering,added power brakes, added air conditioning, replaced k frame from 225 to 36o, replaced taillight panel, new brake lines, new gas lines, new gas tank, had a green interior ,changed everything to black, new head liner, new floor pans, new front fenders, new floor pans, new trunk pans, new wind shield, new carpet,new seats covered front and back,new door panels, and the paint i am yet to buy, but its nearly $600 for a gallon, bought the car for $3000 to start with, i have found same model dusters which may have needed a new paint job and a few front end parts replaced that i could have fixed in 6 months and they are 5 to 6 thousand, which sounds expensive, but they already had v8, ac cores, new upholstery and all the rust already cut out, it better to start with a sound base , i have more in parts than most cars i see already running the road, the only thing i can see ,its the thrill of the chase for parts, because its a lot of work to build from a turd....lol
Good move replacing the green interior! LOL

There's nothing worse than a wife of 26 years being jealous of a car that you had for 35 years.nuf said.

However I will say she is a great mother that's all I care about......

However I will say she is a great mother that's all I care about......
child bearers or not, most are still mothers....my ex was jealous of the Porsche, claimed I loved it more and had spent more money on it...whereupon I told her that I had more money in her diet food, programs etc etc and guess what, I got a nice car, you still got a fat ***...kinda went downhill from there...never could figure that out...sold the Porsche, covered the divorce and never looked back...guess what...28+ years later and I found my old Porsche, she (Porsche) is back home with me now.

metal note to all...she was the basketcase….

Last edited:
Texas is a big state, parts of it highly populated. Houston is nation's 3 rd larget city. Old mopars ???? mot got crushed when scrape was high. I could rife 20 mi down the road in Missouri and find various old cars, here I can ride 200 mi here in Tx and not see ONE!!
I refuse to give too much any project no doubt it will eventually get sld, and I will not put more in it than I can get back out. You have to buy right, to sell right. Yes AS Rani says, the day of the $500 project is gone. Most are worth more for parts, like said. Pretty much lucky to get something decent for $1500. I did find a $800 67 dart roller past summer, but I passed. The guy had pulled the SB and sat under the eve of his house, and NO doubt full of water!! Didn't help! Had too much to do, and I am not into buying to try to flip for few bucks.
Sad when a wife is jeleous of a car!

put me over top.

No more rants.....

Wheeeehw.......

Dave

View attachment 1715254426
What you say hits a cord with me. I love to work on cars. I am good with major body work, fabrication, welding, engines, painting, etc. I am also 68. I am fortunate to still have good health and mobility, so I can still do what I want. I am currently helping a friend restore a 56 Studebaker Powerhawk. I have often wondered how much longer I'll be able to do this. When I get to the point when I can't do the actual work myself, I think I'll find someone younger who needs help with their restoration and teach them what I know.

What you say hits a cord with me. I love to work on cars. I am good with major body work, fabrication, welding, engines, painting, etc. I am also 68. I am fortunate to still have good health and mobility, so I can still do what I want. I am currently helping a friend restore a 56 Studebaker Powerhawk. I have often wondered how much longer I'll be able to do this. When I get to the point when I can't do the actual work myself, I think I'll find someone younger who needs help with their restoration and teach them what I know.
Awesome and good for you!
I hope I live to 68, let alone do what your still doin.....LOL
Passing talent on is endless and great for the soul.
Good to hear.

I also agree, wonderful to have that desire to pass on your knowledge!!!!!!
I hit 70 last Feb, triple bypass this time bout last year. I do pretty well but it is hard to get up and down, but I am so thankful I can still do what I do.
Hardest part is keeping up with the young wife of 63! lol

-
Back