no oil pressure

-
You saying I should just replace them all? I'm not even sure the length of them, and I don't have a caliper long enough to measure my current ones.

I sure would replace them all. You should get a pushrod length checker and find the optimal length. Inspect everything, including whether the springs go solid at full lift. SOMETHING caused that pushrod to bend. You should find that before reassembling.

I sure would replace them all. You should get a pushrod length checker and find the optimal length. Inspect everything, including whether the springs go solid at full lift. SOMETHING caused that pushrod to bend. You should find that before reassembling.
Never seen one....where would you get one?

SOMETHING caused that pushrod to bend. You should find that before reassembling.

Here's hoping it wasn't a valve that didn't close fast enough.

To the OP,
That'd suck, but now is the time to find it so note the stem height on that valve in case it can give you any insight.

Air up that cylinder through the plug hole with both valves closed. See if you have a leak, (bent valve).

Last edited:
When I took the valley pan off, the lifter was just sitting there. So if nothing else was damaged, that may have been the reason for the oil pressure. But now we're trying to find out what may have bent the rod in the first place.

If I over-revved the engine to the point it would break a rod, what's the likelihood it would only have damaged 1 and not all of them?

I had the same thing happened to me when I had stamped steel rockers. Push rod went up through the rocker, push rod popped out of the lifter and the lifter popped out of the bore. BAM, no oil pressure. Like you I was on the highway (70W at the Mopar Nationals). It killed the weekend! I got the car home removed the valve cover and saw the issue. I was able to find the missing piece of the rocker and using a special tool I was able to get the lifter back into place without removing the head. I installed a new rocker and bam back in business. That is until it happened again a few months later (guess the double valve Springs didn't help). I replaced the factory setup with roller cam, lifters and rockers. No more problems.

When I took the valley pan off, the lifter was just sitting there. So if nothing else was damaged, that may have been the reason for the oil pressure. But now we're trying to find out what may have bent the rod in the first place.

If I over-revved the engine to the point it would break a rod, what's the likelihood it would only have damaged 1 and not all of them?
If it went up through the rocker it probably just jammed in the rocker and bent.

The lifter being out IS the reason for the oil pressure loss.

If it went up through the rocker.........
Pictures in a previous post show no hole in the rocker. I believe the OP said it was running and was not lead footing at the time. Probably fatigued from previous runs. If he bent the valve all he needs to do is pump air in the cylinder with both valves closed and listen for it coming out the intake port I would think.
He hasn't indicated what cam or springs are in there.

Pictures in a previous post show no hole in the rocker. I believe the OP said it was running and was not lead footing at the time. Probably fatigued from previous runs. If he bent the valve all he needs to do is pump air in the cylinder with both valves closed and listen for it coming out the intake port I would think.
He hasn't indicated what cam or springs are in there.
Ah I see. Well I agree with you, pressurize the cylinder and see what happens.

There's a lot about the internals on this engine I'm not aware of as I didn't build it. I've checked the rod length and it matches stock, 9.315". All the rods I'm finding online have welding tips and not just a single solid piece like the current ones.
Everything else appears to be stock other than the cam, which I was told was a purple cam .509

it does appear to be a purple shaft, but what grind? Like you say, it could be a .509. You may be able to measure, the base circle, and lobe to determine the actual lift and confirm the cam grind, in situ.
To eliminate one potential cause of pushrod bending, you could remove both rocker shafts, then you could run each piston down, one at a time, and then rig up some kind of fulcrum, and carefully pry that cylinder's valves down and measure with a dial indicator, the max distance each valve can travel before spring coil bind.

what brand of lifters are they? It looks like they have a different "ring" around them, near the top. You might want to examine all the lifters, carefully, especially the bottoms. From the wear pattern on the cam lobes, it appears the lifters were not spinning, so maybe the lifter bottoms are no longer convex, maybe even very slightly concave.

I have no idea what brand they are, but from looking at pictures they look identical to these mopar lifters. How much pressure should it take to push them in? If I can push them in with my finger is that good or too soft? Also, one of the lifters looked like it was stuck in. Banged it on the table and it popped back up. The surfaces on all the lifters looks smooth and feels smooth.

I'm trying to take the heads off to look at the valves.

well, if you're taking the heads off anyway, it will be much easier to check for installed spring height, retainer to guide boss top clearance, etc.

I know this is an old thread but what engine size is this? I have this tread going below but just lost all my oil pressure suddenly. Stopped engine before damage I belief.

383 intake gasket and valve cover choice

Well that was our problem I will put pictures on my other thread but that was exactly my problem one push rod through the rocker arm the one next to it bent pushrod.

I know this is an old thread but what engine size is this? I have this tread going below but just lost all my oil pressure suddenly. Stopped engine before damage I belief.
Check to see if you had a pushrod go through the rocket. I had it happen to .e twice with my old engine. Had the lifter pop out if the bore as a result and my oil pressure went to zero. Worth checking
383 intake gasket and valve cover choice

-
Back