No reverse

-

duelingcudas

Reaction score
IMG_2627.JPG
Ok, I need the best minds for this. All stock pushbuttom 64 Barracuda V8. Last week I had the steering column professionally removed and repainted. Today the push button mechanism for reverse does not work. I do not know if there is a relationship so I can not bring the car back.

All the drive buttons and the neutral button work fine, as does the park lever. The reverse button cap (top button) is completely "in" I can not pull it out and it does not "pop out" whet the other buttons are engaged , but is not engaged itself. (I don't know how any of that engages, just that there is a cable from the mechanism to the transmission.) Anyone have an idea what to look for to fix this?

How are the headlamp and windshield wiper switch knobs removed? There is usually an allan screw holding them to the shaft, but I don't see it.

It appears that there are two rubber steering column seals that have deteriorated. Does anyone know where they can be sourced and the part numbers?
IMG_2628.JPG

Headlight switch knob removal- under the dash, on the bottom of the switch, is a small button. Press it and pull the knob and shaft out. Not sure on your wiper knob- unscrew? Seals for your column- if you are referring to seals in the bottom mounting plate (one of these is white foam), these are available through Classic Ind.

View attachment 1715233714 Ok, I need the best minds for this. All stock pushbuttom 64 Barracuda V8. Last week I had the steering column professionally removed and repainted. Today the push button mechanism for reverse does not work. I do not know if there is a relationship so I can not bring the car back.

All the drive buttons and the neutral button work fine, as does the park lever. The reverse button cap (top button) is completely "in" I can not pull it out and it does not "pop out" whet the other buttons are engaged , but is not engaged itself. (I don't know how any of that engages, just that there is a cable from the mechanism to the transmission.) Anyone have an idea what to look for to fix this?

I personally do not know how that mechanism operates. I highly recommend locating a FSM (either an original, a reproduction or on CD). It will have numerous pictures or drawings and step by step troubleshooting for restoring the correct operation.

How are the headlamp and windshield wiper switch knobs removed? There is usually an allan screw holding them to the shaft, but I don't see it.

If you feel around the light switch part that’s under the dash you will find a little push plunger. Depress it and pull the knob with the shaft from the body under the dash. Disconnect the battery before doing this as the lights will stay on if you don’t. On my 65 there is an Allen screw securing the wiper knob; if no screw, more than likely it just pulls or maybe unscrews off.

“duelingcudas said:
It appears that there are two rubber steering column seals that have deteriorated. Does anyone know where they can be sourced and the part numbers?
View attachment 1715233715

If you are talking about the foam seals underneath the steering column plate that is secured to the toeboard, Detroit Muscke Technologies (DMT), carries them. They probably also carry the rubber seal with the plastic insert that mounts to the end of the steering column (keeps heat and fumes from going up the column). I see it’s missing on yours! NOTE: the column must be disassembled to install this seal! They should also carry what looks like a huge grommet that is secured to the small plate that is attached to the larger column plate. The steering column goes through this seal. If they fon’t Have these last two seals, they are readily available from other vendors. I personally prefer DMT due to the quality of their parts and service! Hope this helps a little!

Last edited:
Not sure on the a bodies, but, on the b bodies of same vintage, the button can become "separated" from the mechanism. The classic sign of this is the button is "in" and won't return.

Got it, thanks all. I remembered that "button" to release the headlamp switch knob soon after posting this question. Probably suppressed it. Also, the allen screw to hold the wiper switch knob.

Problem solved. Not as serious as I thought. This is a side drawing of the button mechanism, not to scale. Those 3 levers" shown (really 5) connect through some pulleys to the cable. I didn't want to get to close to those. The visible button has a plastic shaft with a slot at the other end. That slot rests on the shaft. Yes, just sits on it. The problem I had was it slid off.
Those shafts are not in a line and the plastic shaft on the buttons are "bent" specifically for each shaft.
The "solution" was taking the cover plate off and refitting the button shaft.
Reassembly was a pain in the ***, not something I care to do again.
Pushbuttons must have been engineering nightmares. They are certainly installation nightmares.

pushbuttons.jpg

-
Back