No spark issue

-

OnEbAd340

Reaction score
I'm running a MSD ready to run Distrib E-curve as well as MSD 6al box and a MSD blaster 2 coil. Everything is wired up 100% per their instructions. I am using the dark blue coil+ wire for my 12v ign source for the box. Have my ballast wiring bypassed.

I have checked all my grounds, power leads and cranking voltage. Have 11.4v's cranking and 12.6v's on run at the dark blue wire originally the coil+ that im using for the 12v ign wire.

Coil ohm'd at .7 on primary and secondary was 5.15 within specs.

I have no spark from coil. Tested the MSD box per their written instructions and the tech's instructions by touching white lead from box to ground while ign on and coil wire near a ground. Have a very strong spark at coil. Thus crossing the 6AL, wiring and coil off the list of being bad.

Since I have the ready to run Dist i decided to wire it by itself, ign 12v source to coil, and orange to - on coil and red to coil + with black wire to ground.

Have battery voltage on both -/+ coil terminals per MSD written instructions and still no spark from coil wire.

I have checked on here to see but had little luck. I'm thinking maybe the Dist is bad somehow. Its brand new, but i bought it in 2011 so its out of warranty for sure. I tried searching for hours tonight on finding a way to test the module on the distrib, as i think i have no signal output and thus creating the no spark issue.

Has anyone else had a bad distrib module right out of the box?

"I am using the dark blue coil+ wire for my 12v ign source for the box"

This is likely not your problem, but you need to hook the MSD 6 box big black and big red straight to battery. The small red on the MSD is what hooks to your switched power

There is no doubt that ANYTHING can be defective out of the box. Sounds to me that unless you have made some serious wiring mistake, you have something wrong with the dist. You might, though, check and make sure the dist. is actually GROUNDED And you did not say, I would check it "hot wire" style, that is jerry rig power wiring to eliminate the vehicle harness "to test."

I assume? You have been to the MSD site for the test destructions

"I am using the dark blue coil+ wire for my 12v ign source for the box"

This is likely not your problem, but you need to hook the MSD 6 box big black and big red straight to battery. The small red on the MSD is what hooks to your switched power

There is no doubt that ANYTHING can be defective out of the box. Sounds to me that unless you have made some serious wiring mistake, you have something wrong with the dist. You might, though, check and make sure the dist. is actually GROUNDED And you did not say, I would check it "hot wire" style, that is jerry rig power wiring to eliminate the vehicle harness "to test."

I assume? You have been to the MSD site for the test destructions

Yes the msd is indeed hooked up to the battery directly for its power/ ground (12g wires). The ign turn on lead to the box (16g wire) I am powering with the dark blue wire as it supplies a constant 12v when cranking and on. I have used jumpers from the battery as well to isolate the 12v source as being the issue.

I have indeed been on their site and on the phone with a tech. As i had mentioned i have tested everything to their troubleshooting guides and have confirmed my wiring is good, the box is good, coil is good, and even their distrib test comes back as being good. Their distrib test does not test output signal though (their box testing instructions has you ground the signal wire to simulate it telling it to fire). This is what makes me believe the module might be bad, i just cant come across any lierature to support testing it

If it's "ready to run" I would just "hotwire" it to the coil and test it that way. You don't really need it in the car.

Also when you get it going, on connecting the MSD 6 box to the coil: MAKE SURE the ONLY wires to the coil are the MSD plus and minus wires from the MSD box. Do NOT connect anything else including the radio suppression cap or the tach wire.

What is the part no. for the "ready to run" unit so I can look that up?

-
Back