no turn signal on one light

-

phaelax

Reaction score
I've replaced the flasher and bulb already. The problem is with the front turn signals. The parking light on the driver side works, but the turn signal doesn't. It'll just turn the light off. The passenger side's parking light doesn't work, but the turn signal will flash.

I've checked the wiring connection and don't see anything loose or damaged.

Oh btw, '73 duster

Last edited:
get a electrical schematic and make some jumpers//start testing at the column connector , I HATE electrical

Double check your grounds. I soldered a wire to the socket of my front turn signal and made a good ground. I was having the same kind of issues.

Double check your grounds. I soldered a wire to the socket of my front turn signal and made a good ground. I was having the same kind of issues.

Where on the socket did you solder the extra ground wire? I'm having a similar problem and that sounds much easier than trying to track down a grounding problem.

Where on the socket did you solder the extra ground wire? I'm having a similar problem and that sounds much easier than trying to track down a grounding problem.
I just scuffed the outside of the socket barrel.

Check to make sure the dash bulb is good, if not the flashers may not work.

Alan

if it wasn't grounded properly, then wouldn't the light just not work at all?

Here's how bad grounds "can" "sortof" work

Front and rear park/ tail/ stop/ turn lamps are a two filament deal, with two contacts. Each contact is one of the two filaments, and both filaments are grounded to the bulb shell

Here's what happens if the socket / shell is not grounded:

With the park/ tail lights OFF, and you hit the turn signal, sometimes the lamp will light and blink, because the circuit path goes........from hot side turn filment contact, through the turn filament, through the ungrounded connection between the two, through the tail lamp filament, and then over to the other three park/ tail bulbs AND TO GROUND through all three bulbs

With the park/ tail lights ON, the offending socket has power now on the park / tail lamp, and no ground. So THAT goes from the hot contact through the tail filament.........through the ungrounded shell........through the stop/ turn filament, and TO GROUND through the stop lamps (if at the rear) or NOT TO GROUND if on the front because the front is not hooked to anything else. It MAY light up the dash indicator lamp

When you activate front turn with a bad front socket, with the tail / park lights on, there is 12V on BOTH sides of the lamp and no ground, so no current flows

In the rear, with tail/ park on, and turn signal selected, same deal basically

To try and put this more simply you have created a series circuit. From 12V through one filament, through the other filament, and off to the other tail / park lamps, then to ground through them.

Confused? Just check your sockets LOL

Is the turn signal switch in the column an electrical switch or mechanical?

-
Back