Noisy rocker arm?

-

Craig Burriss

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got the 440 I rebuilt in my RamCharger running. I primed the oil system and I broke the engine in with some Lucas SAE 30 break-in oil, varying the rpm around 2k for about 15 minutes. I drained the break-in oil out and it looked great. Filled it back up with some VR1 10-30, primed the oil system again just to be safe, and started it up. While under the hood playing with the tune, with the engine at idle I can hear a metallic ticking/knocking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine. Thinking it was a defective lifter or flat cam lobe, I took the valve cover off and started it back up. The noise is louder with the cover off. All of the rocker arms appeared fine, all moving the same amount.
I can’t hear the noise at anything over 1500rpm because the exhaust is pretty loud.
The rocker arm assemblies are the factory stamped style. New push rods.
I’m really hoping it’s just a noisy rocker arm and not a rod bearing. But if it was a rod bearing, wouldn’t it sound the same on both sides of the engine? And be loudest at the oil pan?
Also, I let the engine idle for about 20 minutes while I was crawling around and listening to everywhere I could, feeling for exhaust leaks. The noise never got any louder. The oil pressure started at 75psi cold, then dropped to 40psi after sitting at 180° for 20 minutes.
I’m thinking about borrowing a rocker assembly off of my Duster and seeing if it goes away.
Have y’all had any experiences like this?

Here’s the link to more details on the build if you’re interested 440 for my RamCharger

Thanks, Craig.

What lifters are in it? Hydraulic cam? Solid cam? Roller? Flat?

Yea I went to your thread and looked it up. It’s a hydraulic and a nice easy lobe so I’m gonna say a lifter isn’t pumping up. Right after shutting it off you shouldn’t be able to push down on the pushrod side of the rocker at all. It should feel solid. If any are spongy there’s the noisy one.

Yea I went to your thread and looked it up. It’s a hydraulic and a nice easy lobe so I’m gonna say a lifter isn’t pumping up. Right after shutting it off you shouldn’t be able to push down on the pushrod side of the rocker at all. It should feel solid. If any are spongy there’s the noisy one.
I pulled the rockers off after it got up to temperature and pushed down on each push rod by hand. Not sure how hard you’re supposed to push on them, but I pushed as hard as I comfortably could and they all felt solid

I pulled the rockers off after it got up to temperature and pushed down on each push rod by hand. Not sure how hard you’re supposed to push on them, but I pushed as hard as I comfortably could and they all felt solid
Sounds good. Now how about the adjustability of your set up? Stock rockers or are they adjustable? And do you know what preload is currently at?

I thought about it, but decided against it. The burns were bad enough
Then get a rag and fold it over a few times. With it running and that cover off, go down the line and push down on the pushrod side of each rocker hard until you can hear an audible difference in the noise. Then you've found the culprit rocker, pushrod, lifter, lobe. From there, you can disassemble that side and inspect everything. You should even be able to inspect that camshaft lobe through the cylinder head looking into the intake valley. You may have to turn the engine to inspect all of the cam lobe. I believe you can even get that lifter out with a long pair of needle nosed pliers. Just get that cam lobe up on the peak where it pushes the lifter up where you can grab it by the side.

Took the valve cover off again and started it up. Pushed down hard on each rocker arm on the pushrod side and they all felt the same, the noise never changed. I know the oil pressure is good, because it was spraying the hood!
The lifters don’t have any “squish” to them after running.

Took the belts off to see if it was possibly one of the accessories... It’s not. Going to pull the fuel pump off now and see if that’s changes anything

Fuel pump didn’t change anything. I’m wondering if it’s an exhaust leak, because I loosened all of the header bolts and it kind of sounded the same, but worse. I’m going to get a new gasket and see if it goes away.

Flywheel bolt touching block? Like a bent flex plate? It would likely change when in gear

Header leak, use a 2 or 3 foot chunk of heater hose.use it like a stethoscope. Works well.

Just about got the gasket replaced. I’m feeling hopeful after see this on the “old” gasket.
B2FF9BF3-75C6-4AB8-9431-615A330AFA74.jpeg

You can see little burned streaks below the ports.

i always put a light smear of silicon sealer on both sides of header/manifold gaskets. it prevents leaks and where it squeezes onto the bolt threads it helps prevent them loosening. never had a problem since i started doing it.
neil.

I used the same kind of gasket but flipped it the other direction. Still has the same sound. I’m going to order some copper gaskets and some header rtv like I use on my Duster.
I’m really hoping this is all it is.

-
Back